What's new

HD Cable Box / HDMI Hook-up Question (1 Viewer)

WendellW

Auditioning
I am about to receive my new HDTV (Sammy HL-S6187W) to go with my Denon AVR-2807 and DVD-1920. As some may know, one of the reasons I went with both this set and the Denon AVR is that they support HDMI direct in/out. My plan was to take Comcast's HD cable box's HDMI out and run it through the Denon 2807, (as with the DVD/SACD/DVDA player) and out through the HDMI directly to the HDTV.

However, I seem to be catching wisps of problems that folks are having when they try to do this (logical) hook-up, in lieu of taking Comcast's HDMI straight to the HDTV.

Anyone out there have advice on this one so that I can plan in advance?

Thanks!

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Well, the biggest problem seems to exist the HDMI output that equipped on Scientific-Atlanta's HD DVR box (Explorer 8300), which is currently used by Comcast along with a couple Motorola's. That particular box is notorious for issues when using the HDMI connection.

But honestly, there's really no visible difference between analog component video and HDMI when it comes to cable (at least I can't tell a difference). Plus, your AVR-2807 will upconvert all the analog video going into it to HDMI for monitor output. The only thing you'll need to do is to remember to make a separate connection for audio for the cable box.

Hope that helps.

WendellW

Auditioning
Thanks. I'll be prepared to go either way. The way I look at it (no pun intended!), if I use the component video connection, then that will free up another HDMI input on my AVR-2807 for the inevitable "next device"...

Maybe that Blu-Ray box in a year or so??!!

Cheers/WW

Elliot.Lazarus

Auditioning
Real Name
Elliot Lazarus
It is a tough problem....

My Denon 3806 would not process HDMI...Pioneer has a few fixes for protocol...but what I did was go to Progressive video and Fiber Optic to the receiver and the picture is perfect.

The only thing wrong.....is my head....we all want what we pay for but sometimes it does not work out that way.

Elliot

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks