What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I like how TCM has its own section and it includes the Criterion titles. A one stop shop for classic movie fans.

Although it should be noted the Criterion titles have none of the extras you get on the Criterion Channel.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I like how the mobile app lets you browse and search for content before even signing up. It gives you the chance to see if there's anything that interests you.

Fans of classic Television Shows however are in for a rude awakening....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks like the Warner Archive streams are the same ones available on iTunes. In short, no Warner Archive stream is derived from the latest master used for any movie title originally released by Warner Archive on Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like how the mobile app lets you browse and search for content before even signing up. It gives you the chance to see if there's anything that interests you.

Fans of classic Television Shows however are in for a rude awakening....
They shouldn't be as I thought it would be very limited in that regard.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
They shouldn't be as I thought it would be very limited in that regard.

What you thought and what the general public perception of said service is, are two completely different things.

Many people expected at least shows like Night Court, Growing Pains and Dallas to be present, as they're very popular and are not tied to any other streaming service. Glad I didn't jump the shark and pre - order.

I might get the trial soon, to at least test it and see how it performs.

They haven't signed a deal with Roku anyway, and I'm definitely not gonna sit in front of my computer trying to be comfy when it should have been readily available as an app on Roku to begin with.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What you thought and what the general public perception of said service is, are two completely different things.

Many people expected at least shows like Night Court, Growing Pains and Dallas to be present, as they're very popular and are not tied to any other streaming service. Glad I didn't jump the shark and pre - order.

I might get the trial soon, to at least test it and see how it performs.

They haven't signed a deal with Roku anyway, and I'm definitely not gonna sit in front of my computer trying to be comfy when it should have been readily available as an app on Roku to begin with.
Well then the general public was naive in thinking those shows would be available at launch. I imagine some of those shows would need some PQ work before they can be shown in HD on this new service.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, it's not the end all for classic movie and tv fans. I think the classic movie catalog is much better than the classic tv catalog. Actually, I think the initial classic movie catalog is pretty damn good considering what I initial thought it would be. In the future, it will be interesting to see how they rotate their movie titles. With that said, at first glance, if I didn't get this free already with my DirecTV Premium package, I wouldn't subscribe to this service. At least, my paid subscription wouldn't be long-term.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Many people expected at least shows like Night Court, Growing Pains and Dallas to be present,
Sez who? I wasn’t. And I have no interest in any of them.

Were they announced for the service or are you just assuming/hoping they would be there?

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Sez who? I wasn’t. And I have no interest in any of them.

Were they announced for the service or are you just assuming/hoping they would be there?

So you can speak for all people out there? People were expecting some form classic television to be present, those shows were just examples. If you have no interest in them, good for you.

There's life outside of this forum where people discuss the service, just saying.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So you can speak for all people out there? People were expecting some form classic television to be present, those shows were just examples. If you have no interest in them, good for you.

There's life outside of this forum where people discuss the service, just saying.

As I said yesterday in response to you saying "At least provide us with the entire Warner TV library over time" - you're going to have to temper expectations on what you're expecting this service to be...

Last edited:

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
As I said yesterday in response to you saying "At least provide us with the entire Warner TV library over time" - you're going to have to temper expectations on what you're expecting in the TV front. For many reasons what you envision is just not what this service is going to provide...

I specifically said that I expect stuff to be added OVER TIME, didn't I? Never imagined that there would be absolutely nothing at launch. I didn't want everything to be there from the start, but had at least a modest expectation that some shows are gonna make it lol

On a separate note, the classic seasons of Sesame Street have about 5 episodes each (usually the first five), so yeah, gotta love the word "curated", they certainly take advantage of it :D

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I specifically said that I expect stuff to be added OVER TIME, didn't I?

Relax, my friend.

My response was only in regards to you saying "at least add the entire Warner TV library over time."

Wishing more content had been added at launch is certainly reasonable.

On a separate note, the classic seasons of Sesame Street have about 5 episodes each (usually the first five), so yeah, gotta love the word "curated", they certainly take advantage of it :D

As part of the original deal they signed with Sesame Workshop, they only have access to 150 episodes until after season 50 has aired, at which point they will get access to all 4,500. That has not happened yet.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The lack of 4K content is the only bummer for me right now. But I read somewhere they will be rolling it out over the next year. I mean it’s the standard now for every streaming service to offer at least some 4K content.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As Ron stated, we need to stop bickering at each other. It doesn't do any good acting badly towards one and other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks