What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The real truth is near the end of the article:

The bottom line is that while media conglomerates like NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia try to negotiate with powerful streaming aggregators like Roku and Amazon, it’s us, the consumers, who miss out. A new streaming service could have the next great piece of entertainment. But if people can’t access it, does any of it matter?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I genuinely don’t understand why Roku feels it is entitled to money for the apps. I mean, do you send the maker of your disc player a check every time you buy a new disc? Do you send the maker of your TV a check every time you watch a new channel? Of course not. Roku makes hardware. You bought the hardware. That should be the end of their financial stake.

Then again, I never understood why broadcast networks felt entitled to payments from cable and satellite providers for over-the-air broadcast channels that are freely available either.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I genuinely don’t understand why Roku feels it is entitled to money for the apps. I mean, do you send the maker of your disc player a check every time you buy a new disc? Do you send the maker of your TV a check every time you watch a new channel? Of course not. Roku makes hardware. You bought the hardware. That should be the end of their financial stake.

Then again, I never understood why broadcast networks felt entitled to payments from cable and satellite providers for over-the-air broadcast channels that are freely available either.
I dropped DirecTV due to rising subscription costs and carriage disputes. Now we are seeing carriage disputes on Roku and Fire OS. Greedy bastards....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

It's just the overall business model regardless how we end users feel about it.

The content providers are free to create their own hardware platform(s) and produce and sell their own devices or some other alternative if Roku's really not bringing enough value to justify their asking price.

And we end users are free to choose as well. Just that the Roku + HBO Max combo isn't a choice we have right now.

Nobody can guarantee we'd all (whether content providers, hardware makers, end users) get to have unlimited choices regardless of the impact on other parties.

RE: disc player makers, at least some of them do get kickbacks in format royalties and/or other (indirect) incentives, no? Toshiba hasn't been making BD players for a reason afterall (and it's probably not just because they might be pissed about losing the format war). Some others might find other ways to make it work for them (or not really... as hardware makers seem to typically get the short end of these bizzes as they get commoditized relative to software), but there are no guarantees those apply to Roku.

We don't have to like any of this. And Roku and Warner Media are both taking some risks in all this. Just the nature of the bizz...

_Man_

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having not read the whole thread, and since Dallas is a Warner property on HBO Max ? Or would it be on the Warner service?

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
HBO Max is the Warner service

Dallas isn't on there, but it is available for free on IMDB TV.

I see Dallas on IMDB. Was hoping to find knots Landing too. I’m guessing Knots Landing is not there due to music rights issues?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I gave HBO Max 2 months to resolve a deal with Roku probably 1 month more than I should have. I don't care whose fault it is
I cancelled yesterday and I am done with any service related to HBO in the future.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm not a Roku owner. If I were, I'd be replacing it with a Chromecast or Apple TV. Neither of those devices are holding streaming platforms hostage. HBO Max, Peacock and Quibi are all available on both of them.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Pre-click explanation of article for Tino:

HBO MAX, AT&T's big bet on streaming, brought in more than four million subscribers in the month following its May 27 launch, the company announced on Thursday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's hot on HBO Max:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I hope HBO Max will work with Google Chromecast- that’s the device I’m thinking about getting to start streaming with.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I hope HBO Max will work with Google Chromecast- that’s the device I’m thinking about getting to start streaming with.
You may be better off with the TIVO streaming stick. Lots of former Roku users have been saying good things about the device. It even supports Dolby Vision HDR (which both Chromecast Ultra and Roku do not).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
You may be better off with the TIVO streaming stick. Lots of former Roku users have been saying good things about the device. It even supports Dolby Vision HDR (which both Chromecast Ultra and Roku do not).
Thank you for your recommendation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some new titles have been added to HBO Max. I'm thinking some of them are coming to Blu-ray in the near future. Particularly, Flying Leathernecks, The Candidate, Jim Thorpe All-American and maybe one or two Astaire & Rogers musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks