What's new

HAWAII on the way - any info? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday, dvdplanet had the Julie Andrews film Hawaii announced for mid April from MGM/UA Sadly, they had no specs.
Does anyone have info?
Would like to know
A. which version of the fil? there are two running times-
B. will there ba any stereo track?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I am really looking forward to this - if it is done right.

The good news is that I did find it at DVDEmpire - release date is 4/12. There isn't much info on it.

Yeah, I know. The bad news is that it is only $10.17. Ok, maybe not bad for sure, but a price like that on such a classic is scaring me.

Glenn

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Sorry, Joe, but DVD Answers is reporting this as mono. I am hoping that you and Eric Paddon who are some of our most knowledgable participants regarding original score
and sound sources can lead the charge in getting at least
a stereo version of Hawaii released, even at the cost of a delay in release date. Looking at the horrid artwork at DVD
Answers, it appears MGM has little interest in a quality
presentation of this title. Maybe, we can get the Hawains
or Master of the Islands released at the same time.
Best
Greg

walter o

Supporting Actor
suprised they arent releasing the sequel HAWAIIANS with Charlton heston at the same time, considering that was never released on video anywhere.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I saw the mono listing at dvd answers. I'm afraid this may also be the short version of the film. Its like The Alamo - the short version is on dvd cuz they wanted to do anamorphic and the uncut versions of both these forms do not exist in easily transferrable form. I'm, happy I transfereed my uncut stereo laser disc to dvd-r already.
You guys are right =- the dvd cover is butt ugly. this film had good artwork and even better artwork overseas - I have a giant Italian poster that is to die for.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Joe, how short is the short version? This was on the tube awhile back at 3hrs and 2min +/-. IMDB has it a 3hrs & 9m - in stereo. If they screw this up I'm really going to be pissed.

Glenn

walter o

Supporting Actor
I remember the short version actually being on one tape back in the cbs/fox video days, so I am assuming 2hr40min?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I for one will be giving this a pass if it's the abbreviated version. How sad. This is really a fine film that deserves better treatment.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I think the short version was 164 min. It cut a lot of the footage of the voyage from New England to Hawaii.
When CBS first showed the film, they ran the uncut version on two night. Later, on rerun, theyran it all on one night and made further cuts. the gang left New England, we went to a commercial and when wwe cmae back, they were landing in Hawaii !!!
the laserdisc had a very good remixed stereo track. Hawaii is famous among film buffs as possibly being the only film in 70mm and MONO. (U A ran out of money and didn't want to do a stereo mix). The 70mm prints did have high quality sound as it was magnetic mon rather than optical sound.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Quick note about the footage of the voyage from New England to Hawaii in "Hawaii": Bette Midler can be spotted among the extras on the boat.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just in case anyone is interested, Hawaii will be on TCM on 2/15/2005, at 2:00 a.m. The TCM site lists 189 minutes, letterboxed (so, widescreen).

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
So, if I'm understanding the usual litany of complaints-in-advance here - people will be passing on this if it's in mono even though the original release was in mono? I'd be passing on it if it wasn't in mono, since I do like to have the presentation match the original release of the film in theaters. As to the running time, I do believe that remains unknown in terms of the DVD.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Another film directed by George Roy Hill out on DVD; very good news indeed!

IMDB lists the alternate versions of the film thusly: Original version ran 189 minutes; subsequently cut to 171 minutes. The general release version ran 151 minutes. Full-length version available on home video.

I would much prefer the original version that ran 189 minutes. As a young director Hill tried to be somewhat faithful to Michener, and that's alot of material to try fit into a film. I think we need the full 189 minutes.

I find it kind of interesting to note that although George Roy Hill is known for his director's "eye" and not his "ear," Mr. Hill graduated from Yale with a degree in music. I've read that he had direct input on the scores for all of his films, even those scored by the likes of Bacharach, Hamlisch and Bernstein.

I would like to hear this film the way Mr. Hill and Mr. Bernstein intended us to hear it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

ArthurMy: Where did you get that? No one said that. I was the only one who talked about passing on the purchase, and that was solely related to whether it was the abbreviated version.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, looking back on the thread I see you're right. It was the way the original post was worded, I guess - "Will there be a stereo track" and then everyone worrying about the running time, etc. I will promise not to jump to that conclusion again, although its based on the endless worrying-in-advance. Since this is MGM/UA, I suppose one should worry, since they are, for me, hands down the worst studio in terms of actually being a studio, and delivering DVDs that one would actually like to play.

In any case, sorry for not reading the thread more carefully.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It goes without saying that I want the long version but I also want the complete roadshow version meaning the overture, intermission music and exit music by Elmer Bernstein who was Oscar nominated for his score.

Don't give a hoot about a stereo track as long as they include the original mono track.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is listing the HAWAII dvd with a 161 minute running time plus trailer plus featurette. The film has one of the great Elmer Bernstein scores that demands the Overture, Entr'Act, and Exit Music. (Verese Sarabande released a great double cd of this.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks