What's new

Having problems with my DVD-ROM (Pioneer DVR-105) (1 Viewer)

Chris_House

Agent
I just got a new computer with the Pioneer DVR-105 drive. I'm using Windows XP. At first I was unable to play any region-coded DVDs. Anytime I tried to play a region 1 disc, the movie would try to play, but I only got faint, choppy audio and no video. Either that, or the programs would just freeze altogether and I would have to ctr-alt-delete. I tried playing on various different programs, including PowerDVD and Windows Media Player, and all had the same result. Well, I went to device manager and tinkered with some settings, and the drive started working just fine (it wasn't the region setting - it had been on region 1 the whole time).

However, when I tried to use it after restarting my computer today, the problem re-emerged. I messed around with some more settings, and I have come to realize that the player will begin working properly whenever I disable and then re-enable the DVD drive in device manager. The problem is I have to do this every time I restart the computer. Does anyone have any clue what the problem is? I don't want to have to disable/enable my drive every time I want to use it. Thanks for any help.

BTW, all other functions of the drive work fine - burning CDs/DVDs, reading audio CDs and CD-ROMs. It's just DVD reading that doesn't work right.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
i have an earlier model that would do everything but burn cd/dvds. messed with for ages- thought it was xp or a sw problem.
it was the HW - got it replaced and everythings AOK!
Sounds like HW
A Friend told me many problems stem from the drive being dirty.
Check out how to clean it properly and see if it goes away
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks