What's new

Have you ever taken a long break from working? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wade,

I was working when my Father became very ill and eventually died. Considering that you have a 2 month old daughter and that your mother has inoperable cancer, buy your family a plane ticket and go see her NOW. I can't tell you how much it will mean to her, you, and the family as a whole to have her grand daughter there while she can still enjoy it. Do not question the wisdom of this decision for one minute. You can find another job eventually, you will never get to see your Mother again once she passes. Tell her (and show her) that you love her, it is more important than you might think. I eventually had to quit my job to stay with my Mother for a few months, I can look back without a single regret on that decision.

As stated above, you can take leave for family emergency and go. You might even be able to get cheap airline tickets, but not sure on that one. Go be with your family and let the job question hang for a bit.

Good Luck!

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Thanks again for all the great responses.

I hope those of you who have lost your jobs do to cutbacks or whatever they called it find something you enjoy real soon. My wife was actually laid off two years ago but with me still working we have managed okay. I guess it does appear strange that a person would voluntarily give up their job when so many have been let go over these past few years.

Your new daughter needs to see her entire family and your family needs to see her. 8 months is too long to wait.
I agree. It does upset me that they wont get to see her until almost August. That is unless I do something before then. Pictures and video are okay to send home but they truly don't capture the rapid growth that we have already started to experience.

I'm going to have to review all of the leave options available to me. What complicates matters with the leave options is that the company I was working for just rolled over into a new company. I don't know how this affects the family and medical leave act. I don't know if I would be eligible for that anyway. My mother is sick but she's still able to get around for the time being, she's just not able to work anymore. My concern here is with cancer (and the lupus which causes blood clots) you never know when things will take a turn for the worst. I don't have any vacation time accumulated at this time but I can take time off without pay. Unfortunately it is has to be approved by my supervisor and I don't see that happening given how shorthanded and busy we supposedly are. The same goes for the thirty day personal leave of absence. I've got some serious options reviewing to do this weekend.

Thanks again,
Wade

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Well after thinking about this over the weekend I have decided to try and take the personal leave route first. I know I'll receive some resistance on this considering who needs to sign off on it. With a thirty day notice that gives me some time to finish my important work at least. Also during that time I can polish up my resume and determine which companies back home to distribute it to. If I still feel burned out after a month or two of returning back to work then I'll throw in the towel and take the rest of the year off. That is unless I get another job back home.

If I don't get the personal leave approval then I'll see if I can qualify for the medical leave (doubt it) or put in my notice.

Thanks again,
Wade

Troy Madlem

Agent
Wade,

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Family Medical Leave Act applies to ALL companies except a few small businesses that employ less than a certain number of people (I want to say 10 but I'm halfway guessing on the #). My mother-in-law took time off when mother-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimers. All she had to do was fill out a form (obtained from the HR department) and indicate when she wanted to start her leave, there was nothing the company could do except process the paperwork. The FMLA applies to all sorts of situations, I'm sure a quick Google search will give you more than enough information to take to work.

As for being away from family, I really feel for you. We were living only 200 miles from all our family but in a much bigger city when we had our first child a year ago. We were close enough to drive up on weekends to visit, but it got to a point where the only reason we were staying where we were was our jobs. We finally decided one night that it was stupid to live our lives just for work. It took several months to line up employment, but things eventually worked out. Although I miss my old job and friends, seeing our daughters eyes light up when her grandma or grandpa shows up on our door to visit makes it all worthwile. Plus, my father had some fairly serious medical problems awhile back and our daughter seems to make him 10 years younger when he sees her - he is back to his old self, playing on the floor with her and chasing her around the house. Its amazing what a little child can do to pick up a person's spirits.

Well enough ramblings. Best of luck on taking some time off. Feel free to mail me offline if you've got any questions on the FMLA or want some more encouragement for moving closer to family. I never would have guessed it 5 years ago but I've gone full circle and couldn't be happier.

Troy

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A direct quote from the Family Medical Leave Act:
An employer covered by FMLA is any person engaged in commerce or in any industry or activity affecting commerce, who employs 50 or more employees for each working day during each of 20 or more calendar workweeks in the current or preceding calendar year.
If you don't want to fudge the details concerning your mother's condition, you may still apply under the law depending on how old your daughter is. I would recommend reading through all the legalese, since this could be a major ease of your situation if you do apply.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I have taken 4 months off between jobs once and 10 months off another time in the past 10 years. It has not adversely affected my employment opportunities in the least. I think I have a lot to offer an employer regardless of my times being unemployed. I am in telecommunications (RF and IT) and always seem to find a job.

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I handed in the personal leave paperwork yesterday. I've opted to save the medical leave as a backup plan. I should have an answer from upper management by the end of the week. What makes things more interesting is that rumors of layoffs have started to surface. Usually when this happens you can bet that layoffs are only a few weeks away if not sooner. With handing in that paperwork I probably just ensured myself a spot on that list. Oh well!

Troy,

Thanks for the email offer. I see that you are a Hoosier. I'm a former Hoosier myself and in fact that is the state we will be moving back to whenever I get things squared away here.

Good quote Jason :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark,

10 months off sure would be nice right about now. That would make for a nice mid working life break or intermission.

Wade

Troy Madlem

Agent
Hey Wade, we'll be watching for your return to the Hoosier State!

We settled into a place just outside a quite little in the northern part of the state. For what one of those "cookie-cutter" tract houses on 1/4 acre in the big city would have cost us we were able to buy a nice ranch house sitting on 10 acres. Small town's close to family might not be for everyone, but I don't think we could be happier. :emoji_thumbsup:

Best of luck on getting your time off approved and moving back to Indiana. I don't know what line of work you're in, but I've worked with a good technical recruiter - let me know if you'd be interested in his contact info.

Troy

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Indiana here we come. My personal leave was approved so I've got one month off starting on the 22nd. I probably didn't win any points with the higher ups but I don't care. I needed the break anyway.

Troy, you can PM me the recruiters information if you want. It would be nice to have just in case I need it but I'm not sure I'd go the head hunter route at first.

Thanks,
Wade

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Adam,

I guess that makes me an old timer. Actually I don't know why it has that date in my profile. I never entered it.

Wade

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks