Have you ever taken a long break from working?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wade, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I think I'm to the point of total burn out here at work. It's gotten to the point of slightly depressing me and it makes getting up in the morning all that more difficult. I go to work at which I have a lot to do but I can't find any motivation whatsoever. I used to like this kind of work too, I think I just need a break. My wife is telling me to take a leave of absence and try that out instead but I feel that's not going to cut it. Financially we can manage for some time even with paying our own health insurance during the time off. My only concern is trying to re-enter the job market after 6-12 months off. How would that look on a resume?

Oh well! Anybody ever take a break from working.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not voluntarily. [​IMG]

I can tell you that most HR people look at employment gaps as major red flags. There are, however, ways around this (such as listing years of employment at specific jobs on your resume, instead of specific start dates with months).

Given the present economy, though, with a doubtful recovery toward year's end (one that will produce little job growth), you'd be better off holding on to your job.

How much vacation time have you accrued? Take some of it. Get some rest. I wouldn't take an extended leave of absence in a shaky economy beset by war jitters.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

It's too hard to get perspective when you are in the middle of it. I think your wife has a good idea, take a month off and go on a week vacation somewhere nice. Then rest at home.

If you feel like going back and are rested, mission complete! If you go back and are despairing a month later, then just quit and move on.

No reason to burn that bridge until you have to, especially in this economy.

4. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Maybe you could find another job and negotiate a start date that creates a nice break between your old job and your new one.

5. andrew markworthy

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

7. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I work for a company that lays it's employees off for the winter if they want. You are able to draw unemployment benefits for the duration and it usually lasts around 3 months. I find the break is really nice in that you can just relax and take it easy. Obviously it also allows you to get things done that you have been putting off for the rest of the year. Really the only bad thing about it is going back. [​IMG]

People weren't meant to work all the time, you need to take time to enjoy life once in a while. I'd say if your feeling burnt out, get out of there ASAP and relax for a while.

8. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses.

There are a few personal things that may be affecting my work as well as fueling my desire to move on. We have a two month old daughter with no family here to share her with. Our parents and most of our family are over two thousand miles away. My wife's family travels but mine doesn't. It does bother me that my family won't be meeting our daughter until she is almost eight months old. By that time I'm afraid she won't let anyone near her. Also it doesn't help matters that my mother was diagnosed with lupus then less than six months later diagnosed with lung cancer. She has since been told that the cancer is inoperable even after enduring both chemotherapy and radiation. Damn, the more I type the more I feel the need to move on.

I've started looking for work in both of our home towns but nothing in my line of work is available at this time. I'm not to concerned about stepping out of my field and trying something new even if it meant taking a big hit in pay. I like the education idea and could look into that.

Well that about covers everything.

Thanks again.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

I've been off work now since November 4, though not by choice.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Hey, Scott Adams didn't pick Catbert as the evil HR director for no reason!

I took off 1993 through 1996 to go to law school. Didn't hurt me at all. But then again that was a major career change.

12. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

A family emergency forced my unemployment,
    and unfortunately it is going on 5 months now...
    The above advice is correct. With our current economy,
    it is not always possible to just jump back in..would that i could. [​IMG]

13. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I would agree. It's been a struggle ever since I was laid off almost two years ago. Most jobs around here which pay better than minimum wage are all part-time, so I have now found myself working 3 jobs throughout a 7-day workweek. I work full time at WalMart in the garden center and I work as a freelance carpenter helping a friend's dad remodel his house each morning before I go to WalMart. On my two days off, I work at a country club as a waiter/bartender (and still somehow manage to workout and run a couple miles each day). All totalled, I still make significantly less than my job from which I was laid off and will probably be putting my house up for sale within the year (but that's a different story related both to this and to my dad's military unit being activated). Bottom line.....It's rough out there so hold on to what you have for now.

14. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Not on my own initiative.

I got laid off last month, but had unemployment insurance and a part time job that I already had, didnt make up for the difference but got me by. I start a new part time job this Monday or Tuesday (paperwork may have been slightly delayed) and it is a pretty hefty increase in pay.

15. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

My contract job ended last April and I was planning on taking 5 or 6 months off and then picking up the new contract in September. Well, I'm still not working because of security clearance issues, but I HAVE been getting paid since the beginning of December, so basically I'm getting paid to surf the HTF! Woohoo!

But seriously, you sound like you need a career field change. I don't know what kind of job you have, but from what you say it sounds like it pays pretty decent (to be able to take time off with a family and still manage). I would say take 3 or 4 weeks off, get away for a while and see how you feel when you go back to work. If you still dread going in everyday then start looking for alternatives, even at a pay cut. Life is too short to work at a job that you hate.

16. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Wade,

I don't know your whole situation, of course, but based on what you've written-
    You need to take two weeks vacation, and go see your family ASAP. Before mid-March, IMO. Take your wife and daughter, of course.
    That would be a start. With that perspective, come back to the job. If you still don't like it, find something new.

I'm considering a change myself. Like you, I'm also considering a gap in employment, to "regain proper perspective," as it were. I'm not too concerned about the HR aspect, and what they think. After all, do I want to work in a company that prefers its employees burnt out, and hog-tied to their paychecks? In my experience, the best employees I've worked with, are those that aren't desperate for payday.

You also sound like you might like to move closer to family. Why not look into that?

Todd

17. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Wade,

A lot of good advice so far.
    Think your decision through carefully, the job market is very bad now.

It does sound as if you need to visit and spend time with your family, especially your mom.

Why not take advantage of the Family Leave Act and take 3 months off to "help take care of your mom". In 3 months, your job will still be there for you if you want it.

Your new daughter needs to see her entire family and your family needs to see her. 8 months is too long to wait.

Good luck.

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

What is the Family Leave Act? With most of my family a continent away, this sounds interesting.

--
    Holadem

19. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

The places i've worked for have only had a two month FAMILY LEAVE....guess i didn't know about this "act"...is it in place everywhere?

20. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit