What's new

Have the LAW AND ORDER shows been better this season? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I watch all 3 and must admit that they have all been better this season. SVU has really made a quantum leap this year and in my opinion has been the best of all of them! Really compelling episodes. CI has been improving and also has had great episodes including last Sunday's terrorist episode! As for the original LAW AND ORDER, it has definitely been better this year! Mind you this is my favorite show but even I felt it lacked last year. This year they have bumped it up a notch and the quality shows. They haven't fallen into the "big conspiracy" trap of past years.

All in all the shows have been better this year than in past. What are your thoughts?

David

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The last episode of "The Mothership" show (the original L&O), with the "patriot" group hunting lawyers, was one of the best in a long time. Big meaty issues discussed intelligently.

I think Fred Thompson has been a great addition to the cast.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i only watch the original, but the only thing that's bugging me is that every episode seems to have a "twist" ending. it looks like everything is gonna wrap up, and then comes the big plot surprise.

i know they've done it in the past a lot, but to me, it's on the verge of becoming formula.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
What I liked about last night was the fact that the teaser didn't follow the "passerby discovers body-detective banter with crime-scene cops-Lennie makes wisecrack" formula that has been in place for the last several years.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The promos on NBC are almost criminal. You got the guy with the voice making a big deal about the twist, and how ER is "better than ever".

This season has been pretty uneven, but on average better than last season, which was pretty blah. (I only have time to watch the original.) This week's was pretty good, but last week the "twist" seemed arbitrary; the week before that was better, and so on.

Elisabeth Rohm seems to be doing better and showing more range. I've always like Thompson as an actor, but early on, he was mumbling a bit. He's better than Diane Weist, but still has a way to go before he matches Steven Hill, who always got the best lines.

//Ken

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
L&O had become very formulaic in recent years and I didn't think any of the cast changes were improvements and I thought they were doing a clumsy job of tying the body into the issue of the week but this year has been much better. The last one had great drama though I thought blowing a hole in poor Tovah was a bit over the top. The previous episodes mystery was suprising and entertaining.

SVU has a much looser structure than the original and a great cast. The biggest weakness in all three is that you'de think that almost every mojor crime in NYC was commited by rich white people. They're very nervous about offending other groups.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
It's kind of a terrible thing to say, but 9/11 has really revitalized the original series in a lot of ways. SVU can be very good, I'm glad they've included B D Wong more and more. CI is pretty good too, Vincent Denafrio is incredible, but I never see it cause of how over scheduled the Sunday at 9 PM slot is. And I always forget to watch the rerun on USA.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I think that CI is a good show and has gotten better since the writers have been having the side characters represent "us" the fans with some of their more recent comments on how D'Nofrio seems to know every damn thing. Once they get away from that a bit more and have his partner play a more active role in solving crimes then we'll have a great show.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
CI has been having a bit of a wobbly season in my mind, but I came in on the tail end of the first season, so I don't have a huge show base to work from. It is the only L&O regularly on my schedule though, but that's because my girlfriend dislikes SVU and the original is on at an inconvenient time.
Far as CI goes, I actually like D'Nofrio's character knowing everything. I guess some people clearly don't, but reportedly his character IS modelled off Sherlock Holmes, so why not? If you look at CI as a modern-day Holmes & Watson story, it fits remarkably well.
I'd be especially disappointed if his character didn't do at least one head tilt in every single episode :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm addicted to all 3 of them! As for D'Nofrio's character, it isn't that he knows everything that gets me, its the way his face contorts and the way words come out of his mouth that impresses me.

L&O has always been known for the twists in the plot, especially at the end. The idea is to figure it out before it happens. Anyone keeping score?

Glenn

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
One of the things i'm noticing about L&O this year is that they seemed to not focus on the "conspiracy behind the crime" but the crime itself. Last year a person couldn't just be guilty, but it had to be someone greater that they would prosecute. I think they've changed Executive Producers again, so they looking at things from a different angle.

I've always loved this show but it seems to be better this year. After initial hesitation, I think the Arthur Branch character is having a positive affect on the show. For the first time we are seeing the DA affecting the characters on the shows, the political agendas, and shaking up things. The tight relationships between the ADA's and the DA is no more. You can definitely tell the resistance to Branch's character! Kudos to Dick Wolf for shaking things up!

It amazes me how this show has constantly re-invented itself, yet the intial concept is still in tact! I love this show and can't see a time when I'll grow tired of it! Only wish there was enough money around to collect all the seasons on DVD!

David

Colin-H

Second Unit
I can never see the new episodes. I have to let the DVDs and TNT reruns tide me over... Is there any sort of release schedule? I'd hate to see the next seasons come out at Simpsons-pace, but it looks like that's the way it's gonna be.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I only watch the original and "SVU". "SVU" quickly became my favorite, as I love the dynamic of the Stabler/Benson partnership. It HAS been very gripping this season and is probably my favorite overall show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks