What's new

Has Sony gotten out of plasma? (1 Viewer)

Ken Makela

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Costco (Canada) and they had a 37" Wega Plasma for $2,800.00 Canadian. I went to Sony's website and can't find it in either the US or Canadian site. I did see an e-tailer (US) that had a similar model going for $4K US. It can't be the same but it sure looks the same, has kinda a glass bezel all around it. Anybody able to answer my questions?

Thanks,

Ken

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
But they don't make them. They buy the panel from someone else and put their name on it. Sony thought that plasma wasn't going to be as successful as it is. They bet the farm on LCD and LCD RP. Just one more example of where they picked a wrong path.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Fujitsu was the original supplier of Sony panels. Don't know if they were the only supplier. That's why Sony wouldn't let their own authorized servicers work on them for a while; it was forbidden by Fujitsu. They all had to be crated up and sent off for service.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a shame, actually. That ED KE-42M1 got great reviews, and I've come across a lot of people who liked the HDTV models too.

I guess theoretically, the Fujitsu equivalents should be just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks