What's new

Has Anyone Tried the Radio Shack Fusion Series Interconnects? (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Has anyone tried these cables? They are supposed to be a good improvement over the gold series cables. They are priced pretty good and look to have as good or better construction than Monster cables. I was looking at picking up 2 sets of A/V cables to replace my gold series for DVD-A/SACD. Also can I use the yellow composite video cable to pass audio signals instead (from DVD players analog audio outs to multi-ins on my receiver)?

Thanks,
Dalton

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Those look a little pricey....maybe not though. Have you looked into Acoustic Research. I know you still can get some cables from accessories4less at a good price.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I used to work as a pro-audio installer, where custom terminations are the norm. Consequently I’ve dissected and analyzed dozens of different types and brands of cables.

Having said that, the Fusions look like top-flight cables, judging from the pics at Radio Shack’s web site. The double shielding and dual twisted pairs represent high-end construction for even pro applications.

However, anyone with a soldering iron and a spool of Canare star-quad cable could make functionally identical cables for a fraction of RS’s asking price. Audio cables, at least.

In my mind they blew it with the in-line filters. The construction of the cables – the aforementioned double shielding and twisted pairs - are more than adequate to reject any RF or EMI, so the filter is redundant. Personally I wouldn’t want that filter in the signal path.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks Wayne. I know RS has a decent return policy on cables so i might give them a try.

Chad,
I have some AR Pro series digital cables i got from AC4L. I also use some performance series for cd analog but i want to try try some better more more sturdy cables. I looked at the Fusion cables yesterday and they appear to be well constructed. I am gonna do a side by side tonight against the AR and Gold series cables.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Well i have done a short test with the new fusion cables and have to say they are a distinct improvement over the AR and RS Gold cables i was using. I noticed a definite decrease in noise at higher volumes. I bought 2 sets of the A/V cables and used the 2 yellow composite cables for the sub and center. So far a i like what i hear.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Wayne,

It's just a Ferrite Choke on the Fusion AV Cables. And I
agree it's not needed unless you have EMI issues (but the
twisted pair construction CNMR eliminates those issues.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks