Has anyone got Newsies yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I am supposed to get this in the mail today! I cannot wait, I am so excited about this one. If I get it today, I will post a review tonight, unless someone else gets to it before me.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Before I buy this, I want to know if the end credits are still re-done like they were on the laserdisc and VHS- for some reason they re-did them using video character generator rather than film, and it looks cheesy. Call me nit-picky, but I don't want to buy the DVD unless it has the original credits.

3. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Good enough; guess I'll be getting this. I suspected the credits might have been changed because of how badly this movie bombed in theaters. It has a sort of sentimental value to me since it was one of the movies playing when I first learned how to run the projection system; the first day I got to work by myself "Newsies" was cut down to 2 shows per day and nobody came to either one! I like musicals though, what can I say, and sounds like this has gotten a better following since then.

5. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I haven't got it yet, it should be here tomorrow.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

If it helps, I saw it at CostCo yesterday (Tuesday, it's street date). I overlooked it when I walked by, but a woman picked it up and waved it at her daughter, saying "Hey, this was just on TV today!". [​IMG]

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Watched the movie last night, looks and sounds great, and the end credits appear to be unaltered this time, though they did windowbox them starting with the final shot in the movie (which is unnecessary since my TV has no overscan). This was the 2nd movie released in Dolby Digital, but only as an unadvertised test in 2 theaters (Star Trek VI was the first). It failed miserably in theaters but seems to have developed a following nevertheless. There's a Spanish soundtrack on the disc, but sounds like they left the songs in English.

A BIG surprise is that Trey Parker (of South Park, Cannibal the Musical and Orgazmo fame) is supposedly in this movie! He's credited as playing "Kid Blink"; I scanned through the movie afterwards trying to spot him but didn't have enough time to tell if that was the same Trey Parker or not.

8. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Hey,

I just wanted to chime in here. I haven't seen "Newsies" since the sneak preview way back in 91-92 and always thought it was a fun little musical. But, I digress...

I was a little confused about the Trey Parker listed in the credits and found out (through imdb, noless) that it's a different Trey, not of South Park fame.

Rafael

9. Dana Rodakis

Dana Rodakis Extra

This DVD is replacing my laserdisc copy. The anamorphic widescreen transfer is very nice. And the soundtrack is Dolby Digital 5.1 (not mentioned on the cover art). I also enjoyed all the bonus material very much. Select subtitle 4 to view the sing-along lyrics.

Dana

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

When you've got a hundred voices singing, who can hear a lousy whistle blow?

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have GOT to highly recommend this title. It blows away my VHS copy!
    As others have said, the video transfer and the DD5.1 are both awesome. But the bonus features are also great. Two features on the "making of" Newsies...as well as running commentary which seems quite thorough. One of the interesting things about the commentary is that the filmmakers are viewing the film ("revisiting it" to use one's words) from a ten-years-later perspective.
    Also, since the supplemental features (including featurettes and trailers) are full screen, they give an excellent example of why you would want to see this movie in its OAR (2.35:1)! In the full screen shots, half the dancers are missing!
    For those who don't know, Newsies is a musical released by Disney in 1991 (same year as Beauty & The Beast). It tells the story of a newspaper boys' strike against Hearst & Pulitzer in turn-of-the-cenury NYC. Did lousy box office but has a fairly substantial following as one of the last major motion picture musicals. Excellent music by Alan Menken (Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Aladdin, Hercules!). It features a singing and dancing Christian Bale. If you haven't seen it, give it a try! [​IMG]

12. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The one I got was in a black case.

And the world will know...

15. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Mine was in a black case too.

"Look at me, I'm the King of New York!"

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hmmmmm. Mine was in a white case. [​IMG]
    Black would look much better.

17. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Well, I switched the cover art and disc into one of my spare black cases, and it looks much better.

I'm sorry, but the thing looked like a damn Oreo on my shelf. The white case looked weird.

I also agree that this movie belongs to Christian Bale and the other Newsies. Ann Margret was barely in it.

18. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    At the time this movie was made, I don't think those stars were as well known at Robert Duvall and Ann Margaret. That's why they were the ones credited. I think if the movie were being made today, Christian Bale, and Bill Pullman would get top billing.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

20. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Yes, but rerelease artwork usually tries to be reflective of the time period of original theatrical release. At least that's what a lot of forum members ask for. When something is updated for modern purposes, most people complain, now something is not updated, and there are still complaints. Some people here just cannot be happy. I like it the way it is.