What's new

Has anyone every heard or built these speakers? Straight 8's? (1 Viewer)

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
i tried to do a search but it wouldn't let me search for the term '8'
Can you guys tell me what you think of this DIY kit?
http://www.bottlehead.com/straight%208/straight_8.htm
I am looking to jump into the DIY speaker realm and I am looking for a good kit start with.
I like the Adire kits and well as the GR Research kits, but I came across this one and it looks like it would be a good one. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Right now, I'm listening to some homemade line arrays (12 mid-basses per channel, 1 tweeter crossed with a cap and coil at 5K). They're pretty fun--dynamic, efficient, and effortless, but they tend to compromise impulse and off-axis response (as do all line arrays, to varying degrees).
I haven't heard the straight 8s, but I've read alot of positive feedback from owners.
If you want to dive into line arrays, read this to get a jumpstart.
Bill

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
err, this kit doesn't look like for the beginner DIYer, especially if you'll be building the cabinet yourself. (Look at how many holes and how big it is)

Just my opinion, but I think a DIY line array is further down the road, maybe after you've built and enjoyed some DIY bookshelfs like AV1s.

I wish JBL sold line array DIY kits because their site had some pretty good info on the subject.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hell, the Straight 8's look like a piece of cake after almost finishing a pair of GR Research Alpha LS's this weekend! I'm still dizzy from cutting all those circular holes. :)
Brian

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
What are the dimensions of the Alpha Cabinets? I have The Alpha fund started but it is going to be awhile before the fund is full:)
Lee

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Sweet, your gonna have Alphas!
Of course you'll have to post some reviews and comparisons with those puppies. Just don't like them too much because some of us can't afford them for a while. :)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Charles, I built Danny's personal pair of Alpha LS cabinets. As I recall, they're 72" tall and I made bases 2 1/4" thick. I don't have the other dimensions with me, but maybe the photos will give you an idea. Those monsters weighed at least 250 lbs each. Check the photos on page 2 of my web site: http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

We weighed the raw cabinets and they came in at 143 lbs. each. The 7" drivers are 5 lbs. each, which adds 45 lbs. The tweeters are 1 lb. each so that adds 8 lbs. That gives a total of 196 lbs. each before adding in Black Hole 5, the ports and any internal wiring. So 250 lbs. might be about right completely finished.

Chris,

We're building these for a local customer. He's using 3 pair for his HT system!

Brian

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
oh, it's still be nice to hear the setup once it's finished.. I've never seen a HT with that many line arrays, I wonder how it would sound in the sweet spot.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
3 pair, wow.

How is the center being positioned? Acoustically transparent screen?

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

Great job, are they worth saving for?
I know I would get alot of satisfaction from building them but they are expensive

Thanks,
Lee

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Charles, in my opinion, they are worth saving for. Best D-I-Y sound I've ever heard, and better than most I've heard in hi-fi shops. Big sound, big soundstage. You'll like orchestra/big band wide presentation. If most of your listening is trios/small jazz combos, you might settle for a less intrusive size speaker. Since this is significant money, why don't you drive up to Danny's to audition them in person? It would certainly be worth the trip since you're in Texas.

A

Anthony_Gomez

The Straight 8's do not make sense to me!
they are a split between a line source and a point source. Lince sources decay at 3db/distancedoubling while point sources at 6db/distance doubling
These had to be designed to have the sensitivities match at a certain distance away. Lets say that they did it for 7 ft listening distance. Suppose you the purchaser listens to music 14 ft away. your tweeter section will be down 3db from the woofer section!

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

It would be a long drive, but I think it's something I would do before ordering them. BTW is there another Austin meet in the works?

Lee

A

Anthony_Gomez

Pete, that is my point. They are hybrids. The line of mid/woofers is a line array, but the tweeter is a point source....both with different decay rates.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Charles, call Danny and go listen to them. No Austin HT meet in the works at this time. Sort of a summer hiatus I suppose, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone made the suggestion soon for a September meet.;)
Anthony and Pete are correct about the Straight 8's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks