What's new

Has anybody ever used or heard the Signet LCRs? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,
It's the annoying Signet guy again. I don't know why I had to fall in love with a brand of speakers that are not made anymore but I just can't help it.
I have a pair of SL260s that I have been trying to source a matching center speaker for. I have just stumbled across an opportunity to pick up the Signet LCR package (same tweeter and drivers as the 260s…I believe) for $300 used in very good condition with a 90 day return policy. I have never heard these speakers but the reviews are always good. I plan to use the LCR center and dump the other two in the back for my new 7.1 setup. Has anyone ever heard the speakers or have any opinions on this setup?
Thanks,
Jeff

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
You're lucky...that I still browse this forum occasionally :)
I've owned the SL280ex, SL280b/u, SL260, VCL266, SL266...and briefly heard the LCR. The LCR should be a GREAT match for the 260s, with the same 1inch aluminum dome tweeter and ~ 6/6.5 woofer. Go for it!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Actually, you might want to use the LCR across the front, and the SL260s as rears. The LCR's dual 6inch woofers should provide a "deeper" sound than the single SL260 woofer.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I am luky. Thanks for the response.
What are you using at home now? I'm curious because we obviously have similar tastes in speakers and when I can no longer find used Signets I will be forced to look elsewhere. That thought wakes me up in the night sometimes :)
Thanks,
Jeff

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
A couple of years ago, during my upgrade sickness, I auditioned many speakers and ended up with an NHT setup: 3.3 mains, AC2, 1.5 rears, dual sw3p subs (which cost alot more). I gave the 280b/u to my sister, the 260s to a friend, and sold the video series SL266/VCL266 locally.
Last year, I decided to build a 2 channel setup in my home office, I listened to many speakers under $600/pair new/used and couldn't really find something that beat the signets (even the 260s). I was very lucky to find a pair of mint SL280ex in real walnut for $400 shipped (ebay).

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
You lucky bas**rd :)
I worked for a small high-end A/V shop while I was in college and I fell in love with the Signets. All we had left was used equipment but I sold so much of the stuff...actually all of it, that the owner of the shop game me the last set of 280 floor standing speakers that we had for free. Basic black but I love them. I use those in a dedicated stereo environment as well. Thanks for the advice.
Jeff

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
$300 for three LCRs is a no brainer! 5 of these under $1000 (and a pair of 260s for rear centers) would be almost impossible to beat.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
You got me on a signet craze.
Checkout these SL280ex towers for $300 plus shipping!
9 signet speakers, hmmm, lots of possibilities. Don't discount tower, full-range rears and bookshelfs across the front (augmented by placing subs in the front, which keeps bass redirection and LFE in the front).
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1295080426
What receiver, sub are you using in the HT?

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Wow, I wish I hadn't see that :)
I think I am going a little Signet crazy myself. I will now have a pair of SL 280s, a pair of 260s and the LCRs so I could put up one hell of a 7.1 configuration if I wanted to disassemble my stereo setup...or buy another pair of 280s...
My fiance is going to kill me if I don't start to control myself.
To answer your question, I recently finished setting up my new Onkyo 898 receiver and I love it.
Thanks,
Jeff

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
Welcome to the Twilight zone....
After going through various prepros and receivers in 2+ years (Nak, HK, HK signature 2.1, Angstrom 200/205, sherwood 9080), I bought a used Onkyo 989 about 5 months ago and in absolute heaven. Is $1300 used, local pickup a good price? If I were to buy a new prepro/receiver under $1500 today, I'd get the 898.
Also, I got engaged during the peak of my a/v newbie craze, she got tired after a while. I can think of 3 great reasons why you should get 280s:
1) they are discontinued, very hard to find, and $300 for the 280ex is a serious bargain
2) it's always easier and better to upgrade, buy gear while you are still technically single :)
3) With 9 signets, there would be no reason for you to upgrade speakers for years......

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Nice receiver! I almost bought the 989 but I backed down at the last minute when I found the 898. While it's a big step down, it's enough to satisfy my needs for the foreseeable future. I know I will miss the upgradeability aspect as soon as a new format is released, but I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, I am a happy A/V geek.
I am thinking about getting those Signets...I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks