What's new

Harvey Weinstein allegations; who's next when it comes to allegations? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I assume that, currently, TWC would own them. I know the (partial) 70mm print of The Master that screened here earlier this year came directly via TWC.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Then the answer is simple: who buys up the back catalog.

If the subsequent owner(s) of the TWC catalog is receptive to releasing stuff on 70mm film, then we can probably look forward to more stuff being released on 70mm.

On the other hand if the subsequent owner(s) don't give a damn about 70mm, then the best we can hope for is if they "outsource" the 70mm version to somebody else who is reputable.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Depending on who gets it, if they don't care about maintaining and booking 70mm prints, I wonder if Tarintino would be interested in buying the prints, at least of his movie. I imagine he probably has at least a couple already, but that would be one way of making sure they are taken care of and still available for theaters to book.

Also, I just really want to see it in 70mm at some point, so I hope this works out so I can do that.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At this point I suspect the market for viewing 70mm stuff, would be a highly specialized niche.

I suppose if Tarintino is having a dry spell (ie. nobody relevant is returning his phone calls or emails) in the future, he can always do a 2-3 day festival showcasing his catalog films in 70mm at big theaters in big cities (ie. LA, NYC, London, etc ...) with Q/A chats afterwards.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Lassater accusations sound somewhat less severe than Weinstien's, though no less inappropriate and strange. This one bothers me more as a fan, since Lassater made so many films that helped to define my childhood and, as a filmmaker, I respect him as much as anyone working in the industry. I'm extremely disappointed in his apparent lack of judgement. But also: what is so hard about "Keep your hands to yourself?"

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is significant because I presume he will not be back. This will be a new Pixar. Will we see new projects broken from the past establishment like what we see with Lucasfilm under new direction?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Never mind the new stuff, how is the studio going to deal with how much of the last 20+ years of their legacy was shaped by both him and Harvey Weinstein? I know they don't own Miramax but a lot of the stuff Weinstein did he did during the period of Disney's ownership.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jake,

I feel the same way. Disney has been a part of my life in some way since the moment I was born in Waterbury, CT, the town where they used to make Mickey Mouse watches. I was a huge Pixar fan from the first moment I saw Toy Story when I was 12, the same age my grandfather was when Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out.

This just makes all the sanctimonious anti-Walt bromides and smug declarations of "how far we've come" since his side of the family lost control of the company ring even more hollow then they did when they were new because it seems we've still got a long, long way to go. Just like Miss Price said to Mr. Browne in Bedknobs and Broomsticks after turning him into a rabbit: "Now I'll trust you'll behave more like a gentleman."*

*Oh, and if you're in LA you gotta see the Sherman Brothers' Levi! while you can. It was written in the 1980s but is even more timely and necessary now.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Walt Disney was a homephobe. He fired Tommy Kirk just because he was gay. It was one of the last things he did in his life.

I'm surprised you, a gay person, disregard this.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have mentioned it in the context of showing he was further ahead in his attitudes towards religious and racial minorities despite getting heat for that by modern historians and writers. I also mentioned that he hired Roddy McDowall for That Darn Cat, which features a scene where Dorothy Provine gets shoved in the closet, around the same time. They basically practiced the same Don't Ask Don't Tell policy as other studios. Tommy Kirk also had drug problems that torpedoed his post-Disney career at AIP, but he got clean, got into another line of work, and has outlived a bunch of his co-stars.

The difference is that that was 1964. This is 2017. After decades of trying to have it both ways with gays, they finally have a gay-themed storyline on a Disney Channel show called Andi Mack and it's not a one-shot character. And they don't hide behind a subsidiary label like Touchstone, ABC, Miramax, or Hollywood Pictures to do it with. And the remake of Beauty and the Beast brought LeFou out of the closet, of all characters. It seems to me they simply wait to embrace social change until a majority of people are okay with it.

For what it's worth, Ron Miller's head didn't exactly explode when I did my Helen Reddy impression for him and his daughter when I met them at the Disney Museum in San Francisco! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have changed this thread's title to indicate this isn't just a Weinstein/TWC issue and moved some Lassater/Pixar posts here as this issue of misbehavior towards others is just the tip of the iceberg. There are going to be many more individuals and companies involved before all is said and done. The HTF Moderator Staff doesn't want multiple threads with different individuals, but the same type of "bad behavior" issue toward other people by powerful people permeating the forum.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, my thread had nothing to do with allegations and what John Lasseter has done. It was about Pixar and it's future. But I suppose it's too soon to speculate.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sam, I didn't read your thread before it was apparently merged into this one, but I don't think Pixar is going anywhere. Worst-case scenario would be Lasseter's sabbatical becoming permanent, which I hope does not happen.

My hope is that Lassater does actually take his sabbatical time to reconsider any behaviors that may have put him in this position and seek treatment, if he needs to, so that when he comes back, he will be able to resume his job and treat people fairly and respectfully. If this ends up not being possible, I think the company would just have Ed Catmill take over Lassater's roles, and perhaps lean even more on Pete Doctor and Andrew Stanton as creative talent, perhaps giving them some executive leadership roles. I don't think we will see Pixar's existing system completely overhauled (although it would be nice if they would hire some female directors and let them finish their movies.)

The Pixar brand is too big and beloved to be destroyed by the actions of one individual, even someone as significant to its history as Lassater. Also, whatever his indiscretions, Lassater is responsible for directing three of the best films of all time, and they will remain so irrespective of any questionable behavioral decisions he may have made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks