What's new

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - New Director... (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good:)
Personally, I think Lee's response was quite dignified, and a nice bit of an "F you!" to the British tabloids that have been speculating on Harris' replacement before the body was even cold.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Well, it has to be director with no unique styles, otherwise an autuer would hurt the film. The current Bond director might be a good choice...Richard Donner would also be a good choice, since he can tell any story. Not sure about Cuaron yet.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting:
From today's Link Removed.
McKellen: "I Was Offered Dumbledore Before Harris Died"
Lord Of The Rings legend Sir Ian McKellen has confessed he was offered the coveted role of Professor Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films - before Richard Harris died. Harris, who appears in the first two installments of the magical franchise as the Hogwarts headmaster, lost his battle with cancer on October 25 - with a replacement yet to be confirmed for the upcoming third flick. McKellen and fellow Brit Christopher Lee have been touted in the British press as possible Dumbledores. Sir Ian, who plays wizard Gandalf in the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, admits he has been offered the bearded part - but before Harris died. The acclaimed thespian has not confirmed or denied whether he has been approached again or if he wants to take over the part, but a posting on his official website teases, "I still haven't seen the first Harry Potter. Before Richard Harris died there was an enquiry from the Potter camp about filching Gandalf. The Grey or the White was not specified."
(bolding and website link mine)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think Nicol Williamson - who played Merlin in Excalibur - would be a good choice for the new Dumbledore.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
When I first heard that Harris had died, I was pretty upset. I felt that he had the role down pat. From mannerisms to his strong compassion and kindly voice. As I thought more about it(his eventual replacement that is), McKellen really seemed like the obvious choice.

Sean

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, the first thought that came to mind when people bandied about Lee's name, was that I thought McKellen would be more appropriate. Problem is, it might be too close to Gandalf, and I'm not sure he'd do as well as Harris did.

Jason

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Max Von Sydow or Peter O Toole, James Cromwell, or Derek Jacobi would all make incredible Dumbledore's in my opinion. There are great old british thesps out there that aren't in LOTR you know. :p

Adam

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Max Von Sydow or Peter O Toole, James Cromwell, or Derek Jacobi would all make incredible Dumbledore's in my opinion.
I can't quite place Derek Jacobi, but the others are great, I agree. Von Sydow in particular can be very very serious, and stern, but can also conjure that certain "gleam" or twinkle in his eyes that betrays the mischievous inner soul, and he just LOOKS wise. O'Toole has a, I don't know, sarcastic streak in him that seems wrong for Dumbledore. Of course, Harris was exactly like that too, and he worked just fine. Cromwell seems too young, for some reason (though he's only a year younger than McKellen, who is 10 years younger than Harris). He just doesn't seem right at all, but I'm not sure why.
Another one is Sir Richard Attenborough. He's old, wise and kindly-looking, and a great actor to boot. He's a great director too, but whether that would help or hinder Cuarón, I don't know. He even had a beard when he played Kris Kringle in the 1994 Miracle on 34th Street. Of course, that might be a problem, he could look too much like Santa Clause.
I'm sure whoever they pick will be brilliant and exactly right. It's fun to conjecture over, but nothing to worry about.
Ebert gave Chamber of Secrets 4 stars this morning! I'll be seeing it this afternoon.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
They need someone who can live until all the rest of the films are completed.

James Cromwell is a good actor, but I don't think he's British... unless he can do a really good accent (although, I could be wrong about his country of origin). His Irish brogue in L.A. Confidential was a bit spotty IMHO.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks