Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - New Director...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, May 28, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

A story at Cinescape.com indicates that Chris Columbus will not be directing the third film in the Harry Potter series. They indicate he's returning to the States for family reasons after finishing HP2.
    Cinescape suggests that Alfonso Cuaron of Y Tu Mama Tambien is the leading candidate, however unlikely that seems.
    I seem to remember Stephen Speilberg indicating that he'd like to direct the THIRD Harry Potter picture specifically. Perhaps he'll get his chance.

2. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I know all this is still on the drawing board, but I think Cuaron might be a good choice. His Little Princess is arguably one of the best children's films of the last decade. It would probably be a shift in style, but who knows? It might work.

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

From Variety:

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Cuaron might be a good choice; I'll throw in a vote for Agnieszka Holland (director of The Secret Garden).

I think Walter Murch would be the best choice, however. He made what I consider to be the *best* children's fantasy film of the past 30 years, RETURN TO OZ.

5. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Personally I've always felt Terry Gilliam would be the ideal director for the series. He has the necessary wit, and Munchausen showed that he can handle a childrens FX fantasy film with aplomb. Supposedly he was considered for the first film but turned it down.
    - Guy

6. Ryan Jameson

Ryan Jameson Stunt Coordinator

Gillaim probably doesn't want to work with children again. He's done so in Time Bandits, Baron, and Twelve Monkeys. And judging from his reactions in the Twelve Monkeys documentary, it doesn't look like he enjoys it much.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Besides, he'd probably screw with the source material too much... From what I've heard of Cuaron's work, he sounds like a good choice.

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

9. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

10. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

11. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

That's interesting... My only problem with the film was the fact that it was too Spielbergian. Gilliam's dark humor seems to be perfectly suited to this material.

12. Ryan Jameson

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

For films based on books that I've read, I tend to prefer they remain as faithful to the original material as possible. I felt the only thing lacking in the first film was additional scenes. However, it was clear that WB was not going to let it out at 3 hours. I don't think children who love the book would want it changed either.

14. Ryan Jameson

I felt that they tried to contain too many scenes from the book, and it suffered because of it. It felt cluttered. Now, take as an example Lord of the Rings. It excised large portions of the text, added in some new scenes that made it flow better as a film, and yet still remained incredibly true to the themes of the book. Truly amazing what they did with that story.

15. andrew markworthy

In the name of all things holy, please keep Gilliam away from Harry Potter! Sorry, but I personally cannot stand his work, and I always fast-forward through his ghastly cartoons when watching recordings of Monty Python. Apologies, Gilliam-lovers (and I know there are a lot of you!) but I had to say it. There, I feel better now.

On a tangent, I'm intrigued to hear that 'The Children of Men' is being proposed as a film. The book is brilliant.

16. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'd really like to see Spielberg shoot the third one. A question, though: I heard Azkabahn would be shot as two films in order to fit it all in. Anyone know if this is true?

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

18. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

YES!!! This is one of my all-time favorite films and has been since the first time I saw it in the theater (and I WAS an adult when it was released). (Kudos to the wonderful Anchor Bay for releasing it on DVD!) Poor Walter Murch. RTOz bombed and he never directed another movie.

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I too think that book 4 needed editing in book format, I would have no problem with some editing to make it a film. On the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy to watch it as 2 2 hour films. It would certainly be an interesting experiment on WB's part.