What's new

Harper's Island (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I do find it strange that Nikki is showing up now of all situations/times.
Didn't get attacked or shot when walking up to the bar.
I'm thinking Nikki purposely putting herself in the situation.

But I find it very plain and boring that Wakefield being the killer/alive this whole entire time as an ending.

I thought it was quite stupid that Abby's dad tells us now, after ten episodes that "Wakefield is alive, I buried a different person."

But I'm still wondering why they gave Madison a situation like she was talking to a ghost.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
More misdirection with Jimmy, or not?

I guess everyone has to be a piss poor shot with a shotgun or the show would be over.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The only thing Shane didn't do was cut his chest with his knife (Predator reference to Sonny Landham.)

2 weeks to the two hour finale.

- Walter.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Seriously,

Why would the sheriff have a file on Jimmy, yet save his life for his own just for his daughter. If Jimmy was really that bad, then he wouldn't have bothered saving his life.
I even hated it more when Madison looked at the file and said "Mommy, the sheriff has a file on someone else we know."
they must really think the audience is this freaking stupid and going to fall for this lame cliche BS.

Good God.

Couldn't she say "Mommy, the sheriff has a file on Jimmy."

Yet they have to phrase it like that in order to keep the audience in "suspense" for that final scene of him in the car with Trish.

I know the song was suppose to be all meaningful for the suicide scene with Chloe, but I found it extremely cheesy. "You can't have me."

and we all knew that Cal was going to die as soon as he proposed to Chloe and her saying "yes."

Biggest eye roll episode ever.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The show started out as a meh soap opera then got pretty decent but the last 2 episodes have been pretty bad. I don't like how it turns out that Wakefield was alive and been the one killing everyone all this time without any clues. I would have been more interesting if it was someone that was from the group from the start. The Dual Scream killers is just to cover up plot holes.

If the Sheriff knew Wakefield was still alive, why was he so adamant about JD taking the fall?

Wakefield has a knife and everyone else has a shotgun, yet they miss him every single time while he just stands there. Wait till he comes to you, then blow him away.

I think fishboy turning out the be the helper is a bit too forced. The groom prolly is as he is caring for Abby way to much, didnt shoot at Wakefield when he had a chance and is prolly the one who stabbed JD.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Damn! I saw that Harper's Island was on last night, so I taped it only to see it was a rerun....but while replay the first show? Do they think they can "hook" more viewers at this late date?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

Damn! I saw that Harper's Island was on last night, so I taped it only to see it was a rerun....but while replay the first show? Do they think they can "hook" more viewers at this late date?
My guess is that they needed a rerun to fill the 'hole' created by the holiday and they just used the first episode to do it.

Sandro

Second Unit
The ending was distinctly underwhelming as the last 4 or 5 episodes have really drawn everything out too far. The last episode had me laughing out loud at a couple of points as the killer revealed his/her motivation.

Shame because the idea for this series was great but it was spoiled by soap opera trappings and ultimately cookie-cutter plotting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought these last episodes were on par with the rest of them. I actually liked the twist with Henry being the killer. I have to say that the show felt fairly cohesive and planned out (yes, some of those plans were crazy or unbelievable but it's still a plan) but I don't remember enough specifics of the episodes to say if anything really contradicted previously established info. I also enjoyed that the writers were pretty ruthless with their characters and were willing to kill off almost everyone by the end.

I love Ten Little Indians-style stories and overall, this was just a soap opera version of that tale but I didn't really expect much more than that.

Originally Posted by JohnS

DUMB!!!
What a waste of 13hrs.
Since you didn't seem to like most of the episodes, did you really think that the last two episodes would turn it around for you?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Despite a few weak episodes I enjoyed the overall series. I have to admit that the reveal of Henry caught me by surprise. Of course, part of the reason for the surprise was that the show had not previously shown Henry in a manner that would lead one to suspect that there was more to his character than meets the eye. I had some difficultly believing that the Henry of the last two episodes was the same character that inhabited the prior episodes, which weakened the overall reveal.

Still, a fun ride while it lasted.

- Walter.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the whole thing on DVD. Some day I'll have to go back and rewatch it all to see if there are any clues pointing toward Henry. In other words, were we supposed to have figured that out before it was revealed, or was it supposed to be a surprise?

I was at least glad they came up with a killer and motivation that made some sense, rather than some supernatural or random psycho type thing.

From the DVD extras, it's clear this series was only meant to last 13 episodes, regardless of ratings. If it had been a hit, maybe they would have done another mystery with other characters, but this was it for this bunch.

It was also stated that even the actors didn't know who the killer was til it was time to film that episode, and the victims didn't know when they were going to die until maybe one episode in advance.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I thought that the series was fun, but the Henry thing just didn't work for me. I would like to watch it again though.

And I was under the impression that had the show been successful, they would have done an entirely different story for a second season.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I like the thought of a one season mystery though. Longer than a mini-series, definite end point, no dragging it on once the original story arc is completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks