What's new

Harman Kardon PA5800 (1 Viewer)

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have experience with this amplifier. I'm thinking of upgrading and I love the sound of Harman amps and I'm wondering if this amp lives up to others in the HK family. It seems like HK quality control has taken a couple of steps back recently, does this amp make the grade??? let me know any of your experiences.

And YES, separate amps will make a HUGE difference in the sound of your system. Last week I tried a Rotel RB985 Mark 2, beautiful sound, a little weak on the low end though, that's why I'm inquiring about the Harman.

Ben

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Ben, I've had both amps that you listed.. To me and it is just my opinion but I preferred the HK 5800 over the rotel. The 985 ran hot as hell!! and binding posts etc. seemed cheap to me. I also preferred the sound of the 5800 more lush and less fatiguing..Thanks

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
That's the way I felt about the Rotel, a little harsh and bright. I have a Harman reciever and I like that character of the sound, which is why I figure the 5800 may be the answer for me.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add another vote for the PA5800. I've been using it with a Denon 3300 as a preamp for about two years now with no problems. I'm using Klipsch speakers and the amp seemed to blend in very well with them and the Denon.

Brian O

Second Unit
I have two Hk PA5800 Amps hooked to my Denon 3300, too. Got them for $300 each. Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 5i.
I really like the HK sound. I am now looking to get the Outlaw 950 and I am hoping with the HK Amps that I will be happy...at least for awhile.:)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I don't think the PA5800 can be beat for the money. Simple as that. I used one for a couple of years (bought it for $329 and sold it for $300) and replaced it with a Sherbourn 5/1500a for more power. The Pa5800 is especially good at biamping applications on the cheap. It beats most receiver amps for sure.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have one powering my rears, centre and sub and its a little work horse. For the price you can pick these things up at its truely one of AV's little steals. There's a review of the 5800 Here if you want a professional oppinion

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the PA5800 for a couple of years also and think its great.

If you are a fan of the HK "sound", then you really can't go wrong with this amp.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
J&R used to sell these amps for $300 new, before they ran out. I got one that way, and haven't looked back. But I do think it runs a little warm. I hope to pick up a second one when I finally move to separates. (Currently, the PA5800 powers my bedroom speakers and my rear surrounds.)

henning

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I have two H/K PA5800s and I love them. They are clean, clear, a bit on the warm sounding side (which I like), and have plenty of power for most speakers (I need two to bi-amp my PSB Stratus Goldi). Certainly, there are better amps out there, but for the price, or even double or triple it, these can't be touched. Are you thinking of a used one or have you found a source for new ones?

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely thinking of getting a used one, there are quite a few out there, just waiting to find the right deal. The thing is, there are also a lot of Signature 2.1's out there which are only slightly more expensive, and from what I can tell they might be a significantly better amp.

Ben

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I haven't heard the Signature 2.1, but when Home Theater Magazine did two separate amp face offs, they commented that the "newer" "better" "more powerful" Signature 2.1 didn't sound nearly as good as the PA5800. Of course HT Magazine isn't exactly the most reliable source for reviews, so take from that what you will.

What is the PA5800 going for on the used market these days?

MarkO

Second Unit
I upgraded from the PA 5800 to the Sig 2.0. To me the Sig is a bit more refined in the upper frequency range with a slightly smother midrange. The bass is also a tad tighter but not as punchy as the PA 5800. You couldent go wrong with either amp IMHO. I am BTW, selling the 5800 for 250.00 with all original packaging to anyone within driving distance of Southern NJ if anyone is interested.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering ading a 5 channel amp to my Denon 3300/NHT SuperOne system. I can get a Signature 2.1 for about $500. Anybody have any experience with these? Would it make a noticable improvement over the 3300's amps? Is there a better choice for under $600?

I heard that many 5800s have transformers that hum - anyone seen this problem? Can anyone compare the 2.1 and the 5800?

Enough questions for now - I'd appreciate any help you folks can give to a separates newby.

Peter

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Peter I added a HK5800 to my Denon 3300 and IMO it made a significant improvement in the sound...please note however that i run 5 4 ohm speakers so I was asking a lot from the Denon

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Ocasionally my PA5800 hums a bit. I turn it off. Later, when I turn it on, the hum is gone. This happens every 3 or 4 months.

Andrew, are you running five 4 ohm speakers off the PA5800, or do you split the load between the PA5800 and your Denon?

Henning

MarkO

Second Unit
Henning: My PA 5800's Transformer humed also at times, but mostly when the TV was on or other hight urrent devise. Harman/Kardon was nice enough to send me free of charge another transformer, but it turns out the transformer wasent the problem. I have dirty AC circuits :frowning: Just like youreself the hum goes away durring certain times of the year,, verry strange. The Signature has the same hum as the 5800 so I guess I better move soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks