Harman Kardon AVR510 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

When watching DVDs, is it possible to utilize Logic 7 for DVD's that are NOT 5.1? (I know it's impossible with those that are 5.1). I just picked one of these up (from Circuit City, fortunately, so I've got 30 days to work this out) and when I watch movies that are 2 channel using the digital connection, the status light indicates Dolby Digital with Pro Logic processing. There seems to be no way to use Logic 7. If I use an analog connection, I can get Logic 7 processing. For CD's, Logic 7 music does work with a digital connection. Thanks for the help.

2. Tony Genovese

Anyone?

3. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

In order for Logic 7 to work with the AVR 510 you need to switch from bitstream to PCM on your DVD player. I use it instead of Dolby ProLogic
    Chris

4. Tony Genovese

Thanks, Chris. So I would need to switch for each DVD?
    Tony

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

As Chris said you do need to change your player to send the PCM bitsream that allows you to access the DSPs like Logic 7 etc. You shoud also remember you need to switch the player back to DD for 5.1 material or it will default to Pro-Logic every time.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

6. Tony Genovese

Jerome:
    Wouldn't it default to Logic 7 instead of ProLogic? On my Lexicon DC-2, they recommend you use Logic 7 for all sources. Wouldn't this be the same for the AVR510? My impression is that Logic 7 is even better than Dolby Digital. By keeping it on Bitstream, I would get Logic 7 processing for all dvd's?

7. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

In the HK receivers, Logic7 only works on two channel sources. (It's not the full implementation of Logic7.) Use it instead of ProLogic. If you're listening to a DVD that has a DD or DTS 5.1 track available, then use that instead of Logic7. Come to think of it, I don't even think the receiver will let you choose Logic7 on a 5.1 source.
    Henning
    PS Even the upcoming AVR8000 only applies Logic7 to two channel sources, but you have the additional option of deriving 5 or 7 channels.

8. Tony Genovese

"In the HK receivers, Logic7 only works on two channel sources. (It's not the full implementation of Logic7.) Use it instead of ProLogic. If you're listening to a DVD that has a DD or DTS 5.1 track available, then use that instead of Logic7. Come to think of it, I don't even think the receiver will let you choose Logic7 on a 5.1 source."
    My question relates to TWO channel DVD's. They default to Dolby Digital with ProLogic processing. I want it to default to Logic 7 processing as this is infinitely superior to ProLogic IMHO. I have been told this is possible by switching to the bitstream output of my DVD player. I will try this out this evening.