What's new

Harman Kardon AVR510 question (1 Viewer)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
When watching DVDs, is it possible to utilize Logic 7 for DVD's that are NOT 5.1? (I know it's impossible with those that are 5.1). I just picked one of these up (from Circuit City, fortunately, so I've got 30 days to work this out) and when I watch movies that are 2 channel using the digital connection, the status light indicates Dolby Digital with Pro Logic processing. There seems to be no way to use Logic 7. If I use an analog connection, I can get Logic 7 processing. For CD's, Logic 7 music does work with a digital connection. Thanks for the help.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
In order for Logic 7 to work with the AVR 510 you need to switch from bitstream to PCM on your DVD player. I use it instead of Dolby ProLogic
Chris

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
As Chris said you do need to change your player to send the PCM bitsream that allows you to access the DSPs like Logic 7 etc. You shoud also remember you need to switch the player back to DD for 5.1 material or it will default to Pro-Logic every time.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Jerome:
Wouldn't it default to Logic 7 instead of ProLogic? On my Lexicon DC-2, they recommend you use Logic 7 for all sources. Wouldn't this be the same for the AVR510? My impression is that Logic 7 is even better than Dolby Digital. By keeping it on Bitstream, I would get Logic 7 processing for all dvd's?

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
In the HK receivers, Logic7 only works on two channel sources. (It's not the full implementation of Logic7.) Use it instead of ProLogic. If you're listening to a DVD that has a DD or DTS 5.1 track available, then use that instead of Logic7. Come to think of it, I don't even think the receiver will let you choose Logic7 on a 5.1 source.
Henning
PS Even the upcoming AVR8000 only applies Logic7 to two channel sources, but you have the additional option of deriving 5 or 7 channels.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
"In the HK receivers, Logic7 only works on two channel sources. (It's not the full implementation of Logic7.) Use it instead of ProLogic. If you're listening to a DVD that has a DD or DTS 5.1 track available, then use that instead of Logic7. Come to think of it, I don't even think the receiver will let you choose Logic7 on a 5.1 source."
My question relates to TWO channel DVD's. They default to Dolby Digital with ProLogic processing. I want it to default to Logic 7 processing as this is infinitely superior to ProLogic IMHO. I have been told this is possible by switching to the bitstream output of my DVD player. I will try this out this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks