What's new

Hardwire a light with a plug? (1 Viewer)

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I have a light bar that I would like to use in the front of the room as effect lighting on the screen when a movie isn't playing. The light currently has a plug on it. Would there be anything wrong with removing the plug and hard wiring this in or is removing the plug a no no?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Electrical codes may vary, but off hand, I can't think of any reason why nipping the plug off, sticking the ends in a standard electrical box (with strain-relief et cetera) and wire-nutting it to the wires inside would be "wrong."

Though in my case, I generally go the other way; modifying hard-wire lamp fixtures to be plug-based...

Leo

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only problem would be going in-wall with the wire on the lamp. Anything in-wall should be rated as such (as Romex is).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I would suspect that the US NEC does not allow for 'lamp cord' ie. 'the power cord from the light bar' to be run inside a wall even for a short distance.

You would most likely have to open the light bar and wire it with 14/2 to whatever box you are getting power from.

Well, I see by my slow typing Wayne has beat me to this one !! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks