Hardwire a light with a plug?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoshGivens, Feb 3, 2006.

1. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

I have a light bar that I would like to use in the front of the room as effect lighting on the screen when a movie isn't playing. The light currently has a plug on it. Would there be anything wrong with removing the plug and hard wiring this in or is removing the plug a no no?

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Electrical codes may vary, but off hand, I can't think of any reason why nipping the plug off, sticking the ends in a standard electrical box (with strain-relief et cetera) and wire-nutting it to the wires inside would be "wrong."

Though in my case, I generally go the other way; modifying hard-wire lamp fixtures to be plug-based...

Leo

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The only problem would be going in-wall with the wire on the lamp. Anything in-wall should be rated as such (as Romex is).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I would suspect that the US NEC does not allow for 'lamp cord' ie. 'the power cord from the light bar' to be run inside a wall even for a short distance.

You would most likely have to open the light bar and wire it with 14/2 to whatever box you are getting power from.

Well, I see by my slow typing Wayne has beat me to this one !! [​IMG]