What's new

Hammer Horror and others (1 Viewer)

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
The rumour is that the rights have gone back to Anchor Bay, who are doing new high-definition transfers for new releases. Dunno whether that means actual HD/BluRay or just top-notch SD-DVD or both though.

I can;t see that they wouldn't do an SD release at least in parallel.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im not gonna wait for HD announcements. That could take forever.

Starting off with the box set featuring:
The Curse of Frankenstein / Dracula Has Risen from the Grave / Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed / Horror of Dracula / The Mummy / Taste the Blood of Dracula

As well as the seperate Scars of Dracula Disc.

Looking foward to watching them.

I remembered I actually taped Vampire Lovers on my DVD recorder when it played on cable a couple months back, meaning to watch it but deleted it by mistake before I got the chance-d'oh!

Thanks for the inspiration to check these out. Its been on my to do list forever.

BTW, researching these actually led me Frankenstein Conquers The World. Havent seen that one since I was a kid.The DVD sports 3 cuts of the film including the deleted octopus ending. May have to order that one too.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I only have The Mummy yet to watch.
Least favorite so far was easily Taste The Blood of Dracula, but the standouts here are the 2 The Frankenstein films, which are very good.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed in peticular was excellent. Minor conplaints would be how overbearing he is. I would have poisoned one of those cups of coffee, and the ending is too abrupt. Suprisingly so.

But a very good film and so far the best of the bunch. Im glad I saw it.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Another one to add to my favourite list is 'The Vampire Lovers' (1970). The first of Hammer's female vampire movies and certainly their best, managing to be both sexy and scary.

Sadly the MGM disc went OOP ages back, but there is an Italian R2 disc that is pretty good, I just reviewed both film and disc - The Vampire Lovers.

Less impressive is 'Countess Dracula' (1971), but it has a superb new R2 Special Edition DVD that is absolutely laden with features - reviewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks