What's new

Hamilton (2020) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder what the chances are of a Blu ray.

I think that will probably happen...eventually. But I wouldn't count on it for a while. Disney paid $75 million for the rights to release this, so they will probably want to do that at some point as an additional revenue stream for recouping that. But for the time being, its value to Disney is in driving subscriptions to Disney+. You can see that already in the fact that they recently dropped the free trial option, so that people can't just sign up and watch Hamilton and then cancel without paying. I'd be very surprised if there was a disc release within this year. Maybe in a year or two when it's not the hot new thing on Disney+ because it's been around longer.

Before the pandemic moved it up, the theatrical release was originally scheduled for October 2021, which would have likely meant a disc in early 2022. It wouldn't surprise me if they stuck to that timetable.

That being said, the live show is a different experience from watching the film and would absolutely still be worth attending if you can afford to do so when it is able to resume performances. The film is a terrific document of the show, but there's nothing like seeing it live in front of you.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I've tried many times to listen to Hamilton because of all the praise but, it just does't work for me.

I posted that back in 2018. Things have changed since. Our family now has an Apple Music subscription so, I decided to give the Hamilton album another shot. I don’t know why this time was different but, the music grew on me. Maybe I paid attention to the lyrics and story more but, whatever it was, the album grew to be one of my favorite broadway albums. That’s saying a lot for me because I’m not a rap fan. It also caused me to seek out other LMM works. “In the Heights” is also really good and I’m excited about that movie. There was also something called “21 Chump Street” on Apple Music that was really interesting.

All that to say I’m a Hamilton fan now and was excited to sit down and watch the show last night. I enjoy the album but, the show...

BLEW ME AWAY!

It was fantastic. The staging, choreography, lighting, all stunning. The energy just doesn’t come across on the album. My favorite songs on the album have always been My Shot, Hopeless, Satisfied, What’d I Miss, The Room Where it Happens, Burn and all the king’s songs. It was exciting to see those on stage and how the characters interacted. Satisfied was especially interesting with how they did the backing up in time stuff. Just a great musical! The audio and image quality were outstanding as well. Other streaming services, cough HBO cough, need to look at the quality Disney+ offers and step up their game.

This is now one of my favorite shows, probably top 5 for me. Nothing will ever top Les Mis in my book and Phantom of the Opera will always have a special place in my heart because, it was the first live production I ever saw in person. I also really enjoy Wicked, Miss Saigon, and Newsies but, Hamilton is above those 3 for me. Can’t wait to watch it again, I’ll be revisiting this quite often.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A discussion with the original cast Schuyler Sisters from the virtual Essence Festival about the filmed version:

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well the missus and I just finished it.

While it was fantastic it was missing an emotional connection for me.
Everything came too fast and almost furious.
Barely any time to breath and take in what we had just seen.

The great things were truly great but there is too much that I wanted to go by quicker.

It didn’t have that song or songs that I want to hear again right now the way Les Mis and Phantom have.

I may have expected more of a stage then just the entire stage being background and very little of the stage having any interaction in the show.
By stage I don’t mean the floor I mean everything that’s there.

The show took a while for me to start to get into it and that was when the three sisters first came on the floor.
Peggy wasn’t really part of it but both Angelica and Aliza were absolutely breathtaking and had incredible presence.
They are the best part of this show for me.

The King was great too but that was just there to lighten it up and it did that very well.

Having said all that I’d say...
Overall it was obviously pretty great.
Even if one doesn’t care for that style of music, which rap does nothing for me, I don’t see how you can not enjoy this show.

I’d really like to know how many of you here are seeing this show for the first time on D+.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First time for me. Couldn’t get tickets last time in nyc. Wasn’t playing in London when we were there.

just learned friends had bought tickets for this spring for our local group...just before everything shut down in March. So I’d have seen it live were it not for the pandemic.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We would never have gone to see this on stage.

It was in Orlando a few years ago and could have bought tickets here in Cape Coral but we have no interest in paying hundreds to over a thousand dollars to go see a stage show.
So I’m happy this ended up on D+.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Only live version I've seen is my niece's then-4th-grade production of (roughly the best half of) it 3 years ago... :lol::D Had never even seen any video nor heard any song of it before that. Those kids were really hooked on it and decided to do their own little production w/out teacher help -- their "gifted & talented" grade school actually runs some yearly musical, but the musical theater teacher discouraged their attempt due to the relatively mature content, haha...

I was pretty impressed given they were just 4th graders doing it mostly on their own (w/ some parents helping)... though I think the rapping aspect helped them since most of the kids didn't seem to be able to carry a tune, including my niece who played the Hamilton role... The girl who played Aaron Burr (and choreographed?) was clearly the most theatrical -- she probably had years of lessons/classes of some kind... perhaps in both theater and dance...

And I actually shot a video of it for them. Not sure how I would've received this video presentation for my first ever viewing if I was not already familiar thru that kids' (albeit rather spartan) production... Like some others, I'm not a fan of rap music, but do enjoy much of it nonetheless... though my niece's school production may have biased me toward that...

My niece did win tickets (from a school raffle or something) to see the show on Broadway a couple years ago. Otherwise, tickets were just too expensive mainly thru jacked-up resale... and I have no plans to attend anytime soon myself...

_Man_

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Watched HAMITON twice so far.Stunning show with only some facial microphones able to be seen which weren't necessary.
Hopefully the pandemic will that mean more stage shows will be streamed live.About 650 companies from round the world are doing so at the moment.Best seen so far include The Australian Opera's CARMEN on Sydney Harbour. Australian Ballet (SPARTACUS) also on youtube.NATIONAL THEATRE LIVE (London) - stage shows change weekly on youtube as well. Possibly the best theatrical company in the World.Their shows are flawless and with impeccable casts . London's Globe theatre,THE DANCE THEATRE OF HARLEM and virtually most Ballet and Opera companies from around he world are streaming their back catalogue at the moment.Some shows are new. All are streamed for free (except HAMILTON). HAMILTON on stage opens in Sydney in March next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks