What's new

Hacksaw Ridge (2016) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Truly an amazing film. One of the best WWII films ever made.

Mel Gibson has directed great films before and this is one of his best. I for one am happy to see him back directing again. He really Is a gifted filmmaker.

This true story is as harrowing and violent as you would think it is. It's also touching, sweet, and even funny.

Andrew Garfield is amazing as Desmond Doss, the conscientious objector who refused too carry a weapon and becomes a medic deciding to save lives instead of taking them.

The battle scenes are violent and horrific as they should be but the story shines thru of one man sticking to his convictions.

The supporting cast is also great including Theresa Palmer, Sam Worthington, and especially Vince Vaughn as the tough drill sergeant. Who knew?

One of the years best and I hope Hollywood doesnt ignore this film during Awards season. They do tend to hold grudges against "some" directors for their personal behavior.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to see this tomorrow as I'm just not in the mood to sit another 2.5 hours in a movie theater today.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As good as this film was, it still didn't fully capture how bloody and brutal the Battle of Okinawa was in 1945. It was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific, even more so than Iwo Jima and on a much bigger scale. It was a biggest battle in the Pacific, fought not only on the land, but in the air and sea. Just a horrible battle! Early in my professional career, I worked with a couple of guys that fought in that battle. One was a pilot while the other was a foot soldier. Their stories told to me over 30 years ago still haunt me today.

Also, the movie kind of shortchanged Doss's battle experiences. He joined the Army in 1942 and served in two battles prior to Okinawa. He was in the battles on Guam and Leyte. Besides the Medal of Honor for Hacksaw Ridge, he was awarded two Bronze Stars and received three Purple Hearts.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. In the link I posted above it goes into greater detail of Doss's life.

So what did you think of the film Robert? Tell us more.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounds like it could be good. Unsure if I want to see it though. I can see and hear about the brutality of our species every day by going to any news site. I'm getting tired of seeing images of brutality in TV shows and movies. Whatever happened to leaving some things to our imagination.

In SPR, the depiction was fresh and impactful. Now, it just seems like one-upmanship in trying to be as shocking and gross as possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sounds like it could be good. Unsure if I want to see it though. I can see and hear about the brutality of our species every day by going to any news site. I'm getting tired of seeing images of brutality in TV shows and movies. Whatever happened to leaving some things to our imagination.

In SPR, the depiction was fresh and impactful. Now, it just seems like one-upmanship in trying to be as shocking and gross as possible.
Or they're showing that war is brutal/horrific and should be avoided whenever possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah. In the link I posted above it goes into greater detail of Doss's life.

So what did you think of the film Robert? Tell us more.
I'm still processing the film. However, I can say I don't like it as much as you do. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, but it's not a great film in my opinion. I might have to see it once more.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have considered that the case at one time; however, considering the state of the world, no one is getting the message. It leads me to believe that no matter how horrific the imagery is made, film has zero impact on influencing people to avoid wars. It will always just be entertainment.

Still. What can I say? Maybe we go to see films like these to remind ourselves that our lives could always be in worse circumstances. Like it or not, I'm sure my resistance to seeing this is going to fade and I'll go and see it before long.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would have considered that the case at one time; however, considering the state of the world, no one is getting the message. It leads me to believe that no matter how horrific the imagery is made, film has zero impact on influencing people to avoid wars. It will always just be entertainment.

Still. What can I say? Maybe we go to see films like these to remind ourselves that our lives could always be in worse circumstances. Like it or not, I'm sure my resistance to seeing this is going to fade and I'll go and see it before long.
I don't share your pessimism as I think plenty of people get the message.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You may be right. I've always been a glass half empty sort of person.☺

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I caught this yesterday and thought it was very, very good. I have a tremendous respect for Doss' position but at the same time, I wanted to scream out "Dude, just grab a gun! You're gonna get killed!" during the battle.

Also, this movie had the best
jumpscare that I've seen in years. When Doss looks up from his hole and he comes up on the face of a Japanese soldier, the whole theater jumped a mile.

Or they're showing that war is brutal/horrific and should be avoided whenever possible.
I'd agree. The movie is horrendously grisly but I think it should be because from what relatively little I know about WWII, Okinawa was a hell on earth. Avoiding the violence does something of a disservice to what those people went through by making it seem less horrible. That being said, I can't blame anyone that would pass on seeing the movie due to that because it's more violence than most viewers are comfortable with.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I'm still processing the film. However, I can say I don't like it as much as you do. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, but it's not a great film in my opinion. I might have to see it once more.

I agree with you.I found it disappointing. Gibson has directed far better films in the past. This is a low point in his directing career. Local reviews have also been disappointing. Mel - less is more when it comes to violence on screen. The best war films ever made had the violence off screen but the effect can be just as mesmerising. Take the Russian masterpiece COME AND SEE , for example. The film's most horrifying death scene packs a wallop like no other. If you have seen the film , you know which scene I mean. You never see the actual violence but despite this, it is perhaps the most devastating scene ever in a war film. Many people, myself included, regard COME AND SEE as the greatest war film ever made.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So which is it? You agree with Robert when he says it's a good film? Or that it's a low point in Gibson's directing career?[emoji848]

Also perhaps your local reviews were disappointing but the majority of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Never heard of Come And See. Sounds interesting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with you.I found it disappointing. Gibson has directed far better films in the past. This is a low point in his directing career. Local reviews have also been disappointing. Mel - less is more when it comes to violence on screen. The best war films ever made had the violence off screen but the effect can be just as mesmerising. Take the Russian masterpiece COME AND SEE , for example. The film's most horrifying death scene packs a wallop like no other. If you have seen the film , you know which scene I mean. You never see the actual violence but despite this, it is perhaps the most devastating scene ever in a war film. Many people, myself included, regard COME AND SEE as the greatest war film ever made.
Just to be clear, I'm not in agreement with you regarding this film and was not disappointed. I think it's a very good film as I'm still processing it. Furthermore, I will see it again in the movie theater which means I don't pay twice for films I think are disappointments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks