What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hacksaw Ridge -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hacksaw Ridge reminds me of Sergeant York, except that it concerns a different war, is in color, widescreen, digital stereo, and has an altogether storyline, and different actors. One might also look to William Wyler's Friendly Persuasion, another Cooper vehicle about the better side of human nature.

In them, both Andrew Garfield and Gary Cooper are superb.

The film works on every level. For those that shy away from blood and guts, maybe not a good choice, but it you can survive it, it's a terrific film, importantly also proving, that director Mel Gibson is back and running on all twelve cylinders.

This is a superb production in every regard.

I initially viewed it several months ago on DVD, and Lionsgate's (Summit) new 4k offering is very different in texture, detail and overall appearance. It kicks the film up several notches on the visceral scale.

Shot with Alexa XT Plus at 3.4k, the film was finalized as a 2k DI, but you'd not know it from the up-rez, which is beautiful.

Terrific film. Wonderful performances.

Audio is incredible in Dolby Atmos.

A 4k release well worth owning in 4k.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed this film twice in a movie theater and will be buying this 4K/UHD release. Thank you for confirming the disc has great audio and video presentations.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] director Mel Gibson is back and running on all twelve cylinders.
Been looking forward to seeing this effort by Mel Gibson; after all, who doesn't love a career comeback?
And speaking of "Sergeant York", I wonder where this film might stand in terms of a BD release?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw this in theaters as part of Regal's best picture thing and I loved it. The violence made Saving Private Ryan look G-rated but was definitely in service of the story. Everyone in the film was fantastic and you could tell from every frame that it was directed by a master.

I saw this immediately after watching a mediocre movie and the difference was night and day. In the past year, I've rewatched some of Gibson's films and the takeaway each time is that I've really missed this guy. Whether in front or behind the camera, he's one of the great ones.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've been meaning to get Mel's Apocalypto out for another go lately. I'm about surprised he didn't set Hacksaw Ridge in Russia, so he could do yet another movie not in English.... ;) My favorite line from The Passion Of The Christ was what one Roman soldier said to another, "idiota"....

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The violence made Saving Private Ryan look G-rated but was definitely in service of the story. Everyone in the film was fantastic and you could tell from every frame that it was directed by a master.

Really? I didn't find that at all. There was some gory battle shots in the film, but there was nothing in it that had the impact of the D-day landing or the tank scene with the 20mm anti-tank gun. There was also nothing that stood out emotionally or visually like the Vin Diesel sniper scene or the scene with Wade after the machine gun nest attack in SPR.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What can I say? I was moved from start to finish. I wasn't expecting to like the movie nearly as much as I did.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. I get you. A film can have a different impact on any given person. I thought it was a good film. It just didn't have any particular scene in it that was really memorable to me, unlike SPR.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No. I get you. A film can have a different impact on any given person. I thought it was a good film. It just didn't have any particular scene in it that was really memorable to me, unlike SPR.
SPR had a bigger impact on me because it was the first type of cinematic experience I had with such violence on display in such a realistic way. I will never forget how the capacity audience I experienced my first viewing of SPR reacted as we filed out of the movie theater. It was almost complete silence as you can tell people were still processing what they just experienced. I will never forget that audience reaction.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
"Sergeant York"? High praise indeed. I do shy away from blood and guts, but I may have to bite.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For me, it wasn't that SPR wasn't necessarily memorable, but the "cheats" employed by the filmmakers with the narrative really took me out of the film, particularly the "present day" sequences.

There was nothing like that in Hacksaw Ridge that took me out of the story.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For me, it wasn't that SPR wasn't necessarily memorable, but the "cheats" employed by the filmmakers with the narrative really took me out of the film, particularly the "present day" sequences.

Was that a "cheat," or more of a wraparound in SPR? I may be misremembering.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don't agree with that SPR assessment!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The dissolve from the old man's blue eyes in the present in SPR to Hanks's blue eyes in the past made it seem, at least to me, that the old man was Hanks, and that this was Hanks's story. I thought that that was a cheat in cinematic terms.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The dissolve from the old man's blue eyes in the present in SPR to Hanks's blue eyes in the past made it seem, at least to me, that the old man was Hanks, and that this was Hanks's story. I thought that that was a cheat in cinematic terms.
Interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks