What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hacksaw Ridge -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it would. Most of the general public don’t even know who Nolan is and it was still a huge success.
The following was my initial reaction to the film. I liked it more then, so perhaps, I need to pull out my 4K/UHD disc and watch it one more time. I'll try to do that this week.

Excellent film, but the audio level was a little too loud for my taste. I didn't recognize Tom Hardy until the end of the film. A couple of times I teared up and I'm not even a Brit.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'd have to watch this again to determine how much I like it as nothing really stands out in my mind when I try to think about this movie.

SPR made a lasting impression on me with the opening Normandy scene. The first time I saw it I was sick to my stomach thinking about what those men went through and the sacrifices they made. I never asked my grandfather what he did in the war until after I saw that film.

I really like Dunkirk as a film, but it didn't move me emotionally, other than keeping me in suspense. I guess "emotionally" is not the correct word I'm looking for, but what I mean is, even though it's based on true events, it still just felt like a movie to me, unlike how SPR made me think about the real men.

Hacksaw Ridge, even though I need another viewing I know I liked it enough to say at $10 it's a no brainer pickup for someone who already doesn't have it in 4k.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm not a Nolan groupie. Not a Brit either, and I also teared up at the end the three times I saw it at the theater. I still refer everyone to RAH's notes on this film because his words express my feelings on this masterpiece better than mine.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm not a Nolan groupie. Not a Brit either, and I also teared up at the end the three times I saw it at the theater. I still refer everyone to RAH's notes on this film because his words express my feelings on this masterpiece better than mine.
Agree 100%

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw Dunkirk over the Holidays as a blind buy. I'm a big WWII fan so I don't regret buying it but it was a dissapointment
after all the hype. It was good but nothing special and not very emotionally involving. The lack of a better narrative and strong lead characters hurt the movie imho. I also found watching the same scenes again from a different point of view more tedious and pretentious than artistic. I guess I'm not a Nolan fan either.It had some great battle scenes and explosions but just didn't add up to much and they left out too many details of the actual battle including why the germans stopped the attack and didn't go all out with the majority of the luftwafe to wipe the British out. I haven't seen Interstellar but the batman movies and superman movie he did were just ok in my book.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I finally saw Dunkirk over the Holidays as a blind buy. I'm a big WWII fan so I don't regret buying it but it was a dissapointment
after all the hype. It was good but nothing special and not very emotionally involving. The lack of a better narrative and strong lead characters hurt the movie imho. I also found watching the same scenes again from a different point of view more tedious and pretentious than artistic. I guess I'm not a Nolan fan either.It had some great battle scenes and explosions but just didn't add up to much and they left out too many details of the actual battle including why the germans stopped the attack and didn't go all out with the majority of the luftwafe to wipe the British out. I haven't seen Interstellar but the batman movies and superman movie he did were just ok in my book.

Sounds like you should have gone to see Darkest Hour instead.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you should have gone to see Darkest Hour instead.
I do want to see that. Like I said I did like Dunkirk as its almost impossible for me to not like a WWII movie. I just thought it could have been much better and was nothing special after all the hype. It wasn't in the same league as SPR or Hacksaw Ridge IMO.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Darkest Hour is a mediocre film with a stunt performance.

I so wanted to love that film, but alas, that was my impression as well. Oldman is a fantastic actor, one of our best. I think his performances in Nolan's Batman were better than this. Heck, his thirty second cameo in Harry Potter 8 moves me to tears.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Little late to the party here, cruising this thread for the first time only having recently seen Hacksaw Ridge. As for the SPR thing I'm finding it somewhat difficult to believe the old man in the wraparound segments could have been mistaken for an older version of Hanks as opposed to Damon. The actor looked way more like Damon, at least to my eyes.

As for Ridge. I thought it was good and technically top notch, but I'm not sure it would make in into any regular viewing rotation for me. I was kind of annoyed with Doss in the earlier parts of the movie for his steadfast refusal to even train with a rifle. I get it was a religious thing for him but man was it masochistic of him to put up with all that abuse and almost imprisonment. There were parts where I just wanted to yell at him. I'm also not sure what I thought of Vince Vaughn. I didn't have a problem with his work or anything, I just found it to be an odd casting choice.

why the germans stopped the attack and didn't go all out with the majority of the luftwafe to wipe the British out.

Admittedly I was curious about this myself and why the German planes only showed up sporadically. You would have thought the Germans could have just laid waste with little difficulty.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Little late to the party here, cruising this thread for the first time only having recently seen Hacksaw Ridge. As for the SPR thing I'm finding it somewhat difficult to believe the old man in the wraparound segments could have been mistaken for an older version of Hanks as opposed to Damon. The actor looked way more like Damon, at least to my eyes.

As for Ridge. I thought it was good and technically top notch, but I'm not sure it would make in into any regular viewing rotation for me. I was kind of annoyed with Doss in the earlier parts of the movie for his steadfast refusal to even train with a rifle. I get it was a religious thing for him but man was it masochistic of him to put up with all that abuse and almost imprisonment. There were parts where I just wanted to yell at him. I'm also not sure what I thought of Vince Vaughn. I didn't have a problem with his work or anything, I just found it to be an odd casting choice.

Admittedly I was curious about this myself and why the German planes only showed up sporadically. You would have though the Germans could have just laid waste with little difficulty.
While the German Army was being delayed by the French from getting there, the Germans had total air superiority of the area and could have sent the Luftwaffe in force to completely annihilate the British but Hitler called them off assuming the British would sue for peace after this major loss and the loss of their French and Belgium allies. Two of their biggest allies in WWI. In hind site it was Hitlers 1st major mistake of the war. I'm assuming Nolan did not show this or acknowledge it so it would not take any momentum away from the heroric escape of the British which was the main theme of the movie. They were allowed to escape doesn't make for as good of a hollywood movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks