What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Mel Gibson returns to the director’s chair after a 10 year hiatus with Hacksaw Ridge, and what a welcome return it is. Set during World War II, it tells the story of Desmond Dos, a conscientious objector who managed to save 75 men without firing a weapon during one of the bloodiest battles in the Pacific.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for the review, I concur with your rating of this 4K/UHD release. This was my third viewing of this film and this disc made those battle scenes more horrific than what I experienced in the movie theater.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Great review Todd.

The UHD version is amazing. I compared it to the Blu-Ray, and the difference is dramatic. The color of the UHD is so much more natural, the detail of the video is just plain impressive. The HDR strengthens many of the scenes.
A friend is interested in buying A UHD setup. When he comes over I'm just going to show him the comparison of this film. Nothing more needs to be said.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
After reading reviews, especially for the HD I bought, can't wait to see it. Got a stack ahead of it though LOL.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Great review - fantastic release as both video and audio are reference material for our HT. The Soul of War extra feature is great as well in the insights to its production and the preparation of the crew and cast. It is a must have in any movie collection.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm now watching the UHD version of Hacksaw Ridge on our new 4k TV. This is a really strong film on all levels that looks and sounds great in this release.

(And at the moment the UHD of Hacksaw Ridge is $8 at amzn.)

From the perceptive original review by Todd Erwin:

"Hacksaw Ridge seems like an unbelievable tale, if it weren’t for the fact that Desmond Dos was a real person, and he did manage to save 75 men at the battle of Hacksaw Ridge without ever firing a weapon. It also helps that director Mel Gibson and screenwriters Robert Schenkkan and Andrew Knight take their time telling the early life of Desmond Dos before sending him off to war, making it a film more about the man than his religion (although faith plays a key role in his life), and not over-glorifying each life he saved on the battlefield. The film is also full of exceptional performances, especially Hugo Weaving as the father, Rachel Griffiths as Desmond’s mother, Dorothy Schutte as the future Mrs. Dos, and Sam Worthington as the commander that thought Desmond would be his first casualty. The real surprise, though, is Vince Vaughn as the squad’s sergeant. Known primarily for comedic roles, Vaughn is simply superb as the hard as nails drill sergeant, one of his best dramatic roles to date. Andrew Garfield is also quite good...."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks