What's new

H/K 8000 - channel levels (1 Viewer)

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me if I have to set the channel levels for each surround mode? I know that on my marantz this was the case, it has different levels saved for dd and dts by memory. The H/K manual doesn't really help that much. I set up using 75db pink noise with a db meter.

If there is different channel level settings saved like the Marantz on the H/K than how would you do that since the channel levels can only be set using the on-screen-display. i had to play the disc and check the levels with a db meter then shut the disc off and go the osd to make adjustment and check the db levels again, I had to repeat this a few times until I had all levels set correctly.

I did try using the ez-set but I felt that the channel levels were off and it didn't sound right. After setting it up manually, it was like WHOA!!!, what a big difference.

Thanks for your help!!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Wendell,

Why are having to shut off the disc to change the channel levels through OSD?

1) the channel levels can all be changed on the front panel or by using the remote without any OSD

2) If you're viewing the disc output on an AV channel then you simply call up OSD and it overrides anything previously on-screen.

3)But it sounds like you aren't running any video pass-through or...

4) you are using component only for video pass-through which you cannot use for OSD.

To make things much simpler run a simple composite or S-Video cable from the DVD into the 8000 and then another one of the same type to your set from the monitor out. Then you will always have access to OSD.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I am using the component video cables. I never thought of using the s-video from dvd beacuse I can't use both outputs at the same time, there is a switch.

Thanks for the tip!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Just curious. You can't use simultaneously use both types of output on what? Your DVD player? Your set? What switch do you have to activate?

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
I can't use both s-video and component video outputs on the dvd player, the switch is for for the video output on the dvd player. I have to use either the s-video or component.

The osd is only through the s-video on the H/k, right?

I hooked up the dvd to the receiver using the component switching.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
OK, now I see. What model DVD player is it? Again, just curious.

Well, at any rate, it must be able to output composite AND S-Vid or Component. Run a composite loop to the receiver then the TV and use a normal AV channel on the set. You only need it for the OSD.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
its a dv-414, I need a new player though. I'm still looking. you got any recommendations.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
How much player do you need?

The Panny RP91 has been the standard around here for a long time. The new RP82 is a good bit cheaper but is not as full featured.

I own the JVC 70BK but cannot recommend any current models due to unfamiliarity.

There are so many to pick from...what features do you need?
Or from another angle...if you liked the 414, what would you be looking to improve performance-wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks