What's new

h/k 630 question, tv audio (1 Viewer)

Sean Buehrle

Auditioning
hello

this is prolly a stupid question

i have a h/k avr630 that i am going to be hooking up on wednesday when my speakers arrive.

im trying to make sure i have all my cables needed to hook up just a cable box and a dvd player.

im kinda confused on how i am going to get audio thru my reciever for watching cable tv.

there isnt a coaxial hookup for a rg6 cable wire on the back of my reciever.

so how is my reciever going to be getting the audio from just plain cable tv?

thanks in advance for any answers.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would call and ask the cable company if they have boxes with other outputs. For regular cable, this may be a problem. You may have to go to Radio Shack, and see if they have an adapter.
Why are you using a regular cable box? For premium channels (HBO, etc.)? Sometimes, cable companies can give you HBO etc., without using a cable box. See if that is an option

What I'd do is drop cable and go with DirecTv or Dish Network...... :D
Good luck!

Sean Buehrle

Auditioning
Ed
thanks for the reply

i have been looking on the back of the cable box and it does have audio outs on it for rca cables, i am gonna call the cable company today and talk to a tech about how im supposed to hook it up, if my box isnt capable of delivering audio to my reciever ill see if they can give me one that will.
my cable box is a newer model, all digital. it must have the right connections to do something as simple as this.

i have looked into getting a sat dish, but nobody can offer what mediacom offers. i get all hbo channels and all stars channels all regular channels and high speed internet cable modem for 50 bucks a month, nobody can touch that price anywhere.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You're right about the $50 price! Usually, just the cable internet, will cost that much. Good deal!

You should be able to use the rca cables. Just plug them into the back of the receiver, in the tv input. Go straight to the tv with the rg6 coax, for the video. Keep the volume, on the tv, all the way "off", and use the receiver for the volume.

Since they are so cheap, you should see how much more Digital cable is! With a digital cable box, you can use a digital connection, for the audio, and get DD 5.1 on some of the HBO and Starz channels. Will make a world of difference. With just the analog rca cables, all you'll get from tv is Pro Logic (simulated surround). That's good, but not as good as DD 5.1! :)
With digital cable, you'll also be able to use s-video or component inputs, which will give you a lot better picture.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks