What's new

Guys, please help....I'm poor, but I need new speakers!! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
I just went to the Fluance website and am curious: how can they put out what they claim at the price they claim? Are these things really any good and to what would you compare them?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

matt_kelty

Agent
I am no expert, but I love the Flunace speakers I have. I would compare them to the Polks you get at Best Buy.

How they do it so cheap??? I do not know, I guess they have no marketing costs, and you gotta figure, if they sell them to BB at say $250 a set, BB would sell them for say $500

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Listen to Phil! I have the JBL N24II's as well for my rears. They are an excellent "Value" speakers!

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the Fluance SX-HTB....they sound great..and I haven't even ran an avia calibration yet. My total came to $318 total ($259 + shipping). They have hardly any marketing, you can buy only direct from fluance..so no middleman..so they can sell them at an inexpensive price. I ordered them last week, and three days later they were at my house double boxed! The people at fluance are customer friendly. I bought them because of all the positive reviews here...and I am TOTALLY happy with my purchase. Buying these allowed me to have enough money to buy a RAVA sub!! which should be coming any day. :emoji_thumbsup:

Alan M

Second Unit
I also own the fluance sx -htb system,and can only say, wow
,they are worth much more then fluance asks for. I've had friends come over who own much more expensive speakers and even they are amazed at just how good the sx's sound.
Regarding the cost factor,fluance is actually part of a much larger company known as GoldSKy.Their speakers are sold and known for quality worldwide.Much of the r&d is done by Goldsky,which means ,no r&d costs for fluance,This is a major factor in pricing speakers.Secondly,the cabinets are assembled overseas,so labor is much less expensive.LAstly,as stated earlier in this thread,they are sold direct only so no advertising costs.
I've had an ht setup in my home since the days of matrix surround sound(gah,now that I look back,it realy sounded terrible),and yes,I would put these speakers up against others costing twice the price or more.Do they sound like $2000 speakers,of course not,but they are one very real bargain in the world of ht speakers.

Alan M

Second Unit
By the way,just thought I'd remind you guys,Nick's looking for suggestions .He really doesnt need to be beat over the head repeatedly by stats.
Give the guy a break and tell him what you've heard that you like and is within his price range.

mike.snazzy

Auditioning
I second that. Ditch the 6.1 idea. It isn't worth it. Take the money and spend more on speakers for a 5.1 system. If you can afford the athena's go with them. They are awesome!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Stats are fine, I mean, I understand next to none of them, but Phil has been super helpful. At the same time, I GET THE PICTURE, JBL=GOOD! :D

I'm debating the Fluance SX and the JBL NSP1s.

It will likely be the NSP1s due to price, as if I went with Fluance, I'd want the $259 set instead of the $199 set.

Sorry guys, ignorant as it may be, I'm stuck on getting 6.1.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I just wanted to chime in on the fluance.My son has the $250.00 front speakers,68.00 center,90.00 surrounds.There are few new products I have seen/heard at its price that's better.Very good build,fit,finish,most important sound that could easily cost 1k.I compared them to polk 2000i's I owned for 1 year($1500.00).The polks were slightly better,but they have powered subs built in,and the highs were similar.I currently own Klipsch rf7's,although not a comparison, I remain impressed with fluance and its rock bottom price.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Nick,

Before you do anything you owe it to yourself to go out and
at least audition the NSP1's in person and while you are
there do me a favor and listen to the Acoustic Research HC6
setup also.

Obviously you can't listen to the Fluance setup unless there
is someone on the forums who is local to your area who will
let you do an in house demo. But from all that has been said
for the price I don't think the Fluance speakers are a bad
deal either.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Bret, I live in small town Kansas. I am more likely to find Elvis and Hoffa sharing a trailer at the trailer park across town than I am to find a store carrying the NSP1s OR any of the Acoustic Research models. :)

Alan M

Second Unit
Nick,while your there,do me a favor and tell Elvis,I thought your earlier music was better then the later stuff,and tell Jimmy,whoa,what happened to you.lol

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Nick,

No BestBuy's in Kansas?

Well in a way I guess that could be a good thing.. No pushy
teenage uneducated sales people claiming Bose to be the end
to end all speakers..

:)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Yeah, there are Best Buys in KS, which is where I am going tomorrow, but their website didn't list the NSP1s. Maybe they will have the NSP1 II set, which is out of my price range, but should give me a good idea of the quality.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
It should...

You won't go wrong with the JBL's that much I know.. The
quality and value is there... But don't take my word for it
take Phil's.... LOL!

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for the NSP1's, but get them from Harmanaudio on ebay. New in the box you could get them for as low as $200 shipped. I got mine for 202.50 shipped. Hard to find a better deal on a great starter speaker set.

Phil

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, I have decided to go with the JBL NSP1s. Some punk outbid me in the last 30 seconds of an auction from harmanaudio, but another company "electronicssuperstore", who look like they have a lot of positive feedback, were selling the NSP1 IIs for $199 plus shipping, so I jumped.

Here's hoping I don't get ripped off!

BTW, Phil, you'll never convince me you don't work for JBL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks