What's new

Guys, got a question regaurding friends (somewhat long) (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Friends come and go - it's a fact. Once in a while a person will come along and will be a friend to you (and you them), and won't be required to "prove" themselves... you'll just know it.
moe hit it right on the head! friends don't have to "prove" anything...they just are.
i had a very close friend a few years ago. i mean - we were like brothers but closer. it was to the point where people would ask where the other was if we weren't together. anyway, he started to drift. at first it confused me...i couldn't figure it out. finally i decided it's just the way it is. maybe he's ready for something different. i can't fault him for that - so be it.
if they're really your friends they'll include you, etc. it may just be a phase they're going through or maybe they're changing, or maybe they're not being aware of what they're doing. does it really matter though?
in any case...if it's meant to be it'll happen. my sagely advice to you ;) is not to worry about this.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Three Musketeers only works as a candy bar.:)
This happened to me right after college...almost exact same scenario. Someone told me that in a triangle,
someone is always left out.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So True Ryan, you didn't mention just how irresponsible he was when cavorting like that. Or perhaps my imagination isn't so vivid. :) and I'll pass on the STD's for now, thanks!

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Truthfully, I think thats just the way friendship works.

I've got good friends who have become best friend with other people I know, people move in and out of circles all the time.

I wouldn't really dwell on it too much and I wouldn't think it was a popularity contest or that you aren't as cool or whatever.

I think this is a natural occurence. They might become lifelong best friends and you may be just the glue that introduced them. In any case, I wouldn't let it stress you and I wouldn't take it personal.

My best friend and I rarely talk since he moved to another state but since I've known him since the 4th grade (about 20 years) I know that we will always be friends although he has his own circles he travels in and I have mine.

Unless they slight you or begin confrontations or drive you away then just be glad you have a group of friends who get along, can have good times with them, and can support you when you need it.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
You can never go home. And neither will they.

From a different perspective, I found myself sharing less and less with one friend. Also, my time and energy was consumed by changing life circumstances - wife, son, work.

It was probably a combination of both, but consciously and unconsciously, I drifted away from him. Probably more on the unconscious side.

In your situation, you've given it a few goes. And it appears that it eventually reverts away from you. You should truly accept this not as a judgment on you, instead a preference for each other. But more importantly, accept it and move on. Otherwise risk constant and manic rides of self-doubt and abandonment issues.

A person's taste invariably changes, and friendship is not immune.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hmm... I think I recall a "never again" statement regarding diapers in a long-ago thread.
Todd, that's probably accurate. And I'm sticking with it: I'm not changing a single diaper. My wife must do it all! Mohahaha! ;)
Of course, I'm kidding. Reality is, my little girl really wanted a brother or sister and my wife wanted a second child. Some of our close friends have recently had children, and being around their little ones really made me re-think my "one child is enough" strategy. Sure, they're loud, and they stink, but somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6 they become little people whom you can sit down and enjoy spending time with.
Essentially, so long as I have young children, I still have an excuse to crawl around on the floor and play with trucks and stack blocks and whatnot. Really, I'm not ready to stop playing with blocks just yet. ;)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Just a stab here, but do these two guys smoke the weed?
Pot smokers are notorious for only hanging around with other heads. I know from experience. I was a daily smoker for awhile, and when I stopped I suddenly stopped hearing from two friends. No big deal really, but this thread made me think of that.
I still dabble in the weed, very occasionally!
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks