What's new

GREATEST Film of this Decade -2000's (so far that is) (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I hate to tell you this but you just voted for one.
:laugh:
I'll let this run through the weekend.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
LOTR - although that doesn't make it the best film of the 2000's... for me, Donnie Darko still holds that crown...

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
I hate to tell you this but you just voted for one.
That's not the way I see it. When I think of HTF 'Grails', there's an upper echelon of movies that come to mind: The Godfather, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Raging Bull, Lord of the Rings, and 2001. One of them seems to win every tourney they're in. Mulholland Drive has been in many tournaments, and I don't recall it winning a single one, so how is it a 'Grail'?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

My definition of a Holy Grail is a film that is highly-praised/worshiped/untouchable/declared a masterpiece by a (sometimes small but very vocal) number of members.

I certainly don't mean it in a derogatory way as quite a few of my all-time favorite films happen to be HTF Holy Grails.

Besides I don't recall LOTR winning any tournaments. Then again I don't really keep track.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
hi

This is jims neyhbor paul

hes not home right now but he doesnt know i have a key to his house & i surf the innernet whiles hes gone.

I don't have a cumputer but i like to vote for Lords of the Ring sos i can break the tie.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Besides I don't recall LOTR winning any tournaments.
Jim's correct. LOTR hasn't won any tournaments so far. It even lost to movies like The Train and Y Tu Mama Tambien. Quite ridiculous, I know, but it happened. It's far from being a Holy Grail on HTF.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
With the possible exception of the Star Wars movies, I think LOTR:FOTR is the most equally loved and bashed movie on HTF.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Jim's correct. LOTR hasn't won any tournaments so far. It even lost to movies like The Train and Y Tu Mama Tambien. Quite ridiculous, I know, but it happened. It's far from being a Holy Grail on HTF.
Not necessarily....I think Lord of the Rings only lost because those titles were a little more obscure. That is something to seriously take into consideration because that could easily happen to ANY film, not just LOTR. Also, didn't it do very well in Rich Romero's tournament?

You don't need to look at the tourney votes to tell that it is a Holy Grail. If you read the posts in the software and movie sections, it's very obvious that the films are treasured by many on the HTF.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
C'mon Steeve. I think it's time you admit you are a closet y Tu Mama Tambien fanatic.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
and Y Tu Mama Tambien. Quite ridiculous, I know, but it happened. It's far from being a Holy Grail on HTF.
And why is that ridiculous? The Train is a very good movie. You really shouldn't knock it unless you've seen it. :)
As far as LOTR goes, I really don't think there are that many people around here who think it's a bad movie.
There are quite a few people who adore LOTR, but there is probably an equal number of people who are in the "eh, it's merely a good movie" camp. Now I think the LOTR bashing stems from all the gushing over the film by the fans. It's nice that they love the film, but such adulation does get old rather quickly.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jim:
I'm not sour, I'm simply not crazy about either film, and neither one is, in my book, even close to being the best film of the decade thusfar.
:D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
movie" camp. Now I think the LOTR bashing stems from all the gushing over the film by the fans. It's nice that they love the film, but such adulation does get old rather quickly.
That's me, but I don't know if I could be considered one who bashes; I just get irritated by some of the over-the-top hyperbole and praise these movies receive - especially the second, which really felt like "marking time" to me. It marked time well, and I'm glad I saw it (I'm equally glad I didn't pay for it), but, geez, it's not close to "best of" list-worthiness.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
We're all tied up so I say we call it a draw.

your winner is.......................

Mulholland of the Rings

The next vote calls it I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks