What's new

Granite for flexy? (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'm starting to draw up plans for my fourth flexy. The first three were typical MDF or plywood racks which I thought were a pain to paint and finish.

For my next rack, I'm thinking of using slabs of marble or granite. Is there any reason not to use it? I have quite a bit of leftover granite from my kitchen remodel that I could have cut to size. I was thinking it would be a lot more durable than MDF or plywood...

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I see no reason not to use it.. As long as you can get it
cut square with polished ends (and have them do a nice 45
bevel on the edges too)...

If you had to go buy granite then I'd think hard about it
considering it's like $45 a Sq Ft depending on the type...

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
also see if they will cut the 5/8th or 3/4 hole in it because dimond masonry bits are a bit pricy.

I have actually seen a few granite/marble felxys posted here. they look nice but way way to pricy for me

Chris-Lip

Grip
Thread destruction :frowning:
lets see Tony suggested drilling and tapping the allthread, which is a great idea, however I have tile floors and am not sure if that's the right way to go. I thought about casters but the ones that will support that much weight are huge and ugly.
Any other ideas?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
If you use 3/4" Allthread then Reid Tools (www.reidtool.com)
has some very nice self leveling feet that can be had with
Nylon or Elastomer Bottoms. Yes you will need to drill and
tap the 3/4" to thread the feet into but it would look good.

They are finished in Gold Chromate.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I dunno about granite being durable. If you mess up the drilling, or drop a piece won't it crack?

The mass of granite probably means it will have better performance than the MDF flexys.

I say go for it if you can work with the material cause I know I can't. :)

Ryan Hawke

Agent
What about something like Corian? I have a friend whose dad works with the stuff all day and at their house they have Corian countertops, signs made of Corian, and even some speaker boxes from Corian in his brother's truck. Not sure how the cost is compared to granite, but I'd imagine it has to be cheaper. Not to mention that its probably 10x easier to work with and still looks great. I think this would be a viable alternative to granite and be much more practical.
--Ryan

Chris-Lip

Grip
Corian is roughly half the price of granite, however the only way they sell it is with installation ala countertop etc. Now, your buddy could probably hook you up :) Unfortunately I cant seem to find anyone who will just sell me the piece or pieces I would need.
Thanks for the link Brett good stuff, stupid question, is gold chromate gold colored?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,

Yep Cold Chromate has a shiny silvery gold apearance and is
a rust preventer.

As for "Alternates" to real Granite. You could use two
pieces of 3/4" MDF with a cavity inside filled with lead
shot or sand and then cover the MDF with WilsonArt. The
WilsonArt coverings are available in anything from marble
to granite to piano gloss black. Check Lowes out, they have
a large color/sample chart in the kitchen area.

tb512215

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
as for the granite, it is much durable than the others, and it can keep more than ten years. it is a good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks