What's new

"Grain" on BenQ 8220 (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post4247193

A friend of mine really is looking for help with this. I'll copy and paste his words here.

Just bought a BenQ 8220, and I couldn't be happier with it, but I'm seeing what I can only describe as "grain" in black, or dark, areas of the screen. I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but it looks like film grain to me. It's like crawling dark green dots that show up in any dark area of the screen, if that makes any sense to anybody. My Zenith 318 DVD player hasn't arrived yet, so I'm using a modified Xbox (for progressive scan playback) and the cheap component cable that came with the Xbox HD adapter. I'm thinking it might be the cheap cable, but I really have no clue.

Also, if anybody knows how to access the service menu on the 8220, I'd appreciate info on that, as well.

Thanks.

P.S.

Now that I've seen it, I can't NOT see it, you know? It shows up on s-video, too, where it's much worse. Tried two different DVD players, and three different component cables (none of them expensive ones) and it always shows up. It's only on black, or solid, very dark, areas of the screen. If it's showing up anywhere else, I can't see it.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Has he calibrated with DVE or Avia? It sounds like he is referring to dithering, which I believe is the term for being able to see the little mirrors flipping on and off. Calibrating usually solves the problem in most cases from what I have read. I thought I remember having read that it is caused from the projector being too bright, and in some cases using a Neutral Density filter helps to almost completely eliminate the problem. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
GReetings

Since DLP does not really do black ... a close examination of what passes for black in most material is that of black with a weird grain to it ... sometimes green grain.

It's normal.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks