What's new

Got my SVS Working Again! (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Update (Those who read the last message from me new the deal so here goes): I hooked everything up again today and only changed some of the speaker wire and all of a sudden I'm getting bass again. The bad part is the bass using the old stereo receiver as an amp is not nearly as good as before this whole ordeal. I do get some good bass when I use the amp from the partsexpress.com subwoofer I had previously (basically their lowest amp 120W). I think I will ust cave and purchase a decent amp for the SVS. Is the 250W amp from partsexpress.com a good one to use?

I also want to confirm the hookup for a stereo receiver or amp. I have a chord plugged into the "sub-out" on my HT reeciver. It runs to the amp and plugs into both of the Low Level "line-in" RCA plugs (red and white). I have then run some speaker wire (18 guage) from the subwoofer to the amp.

Please confirm that this is right or if I am doing it wrong.

I did hear that maybe I should only plug the chord into one low level line-in input but I seem to hear more bass when they are both plugged in.

Thanks again to everybody for helping me out! I do appreciate your help!

Brent

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Make that 18 ga into 12, and you're set.

Get the 250 watter over the 120 also, if you can.

Congrats on getting it worked out!

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Probably going to do the amp upgrade. Am I doing a bad thing by running 18 guage wire or is it just recommended? Also would the $20 AR Sub Cable be a good choice from BB or should I just leave the Y Cable I have now?

Thanks

DwightK

Second Unit
Congrats on resolving your crisis. can't be without that sub ya know!

Only when you are using the old receiver do you only have to use one of the RCA's. Using a plate amp like the PE you use both.

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
The PE Plate amp works great so I'll probably go ahead and buy the 250W version of it. I got everything cleaned up (had a heck of a mess) and re did the calibrations on the Sound & Vision disk and then watched some movies and music and it was just bumpin away! I really don't know what caused the whole problem but I think that old receiver just wasn't cutting it. I feel much better about the sub being hooked to an amp rather than the old receiver and the sub doesn't seem to mind either! :D
I also plan on going and getting that SPL meter now! I'm sure glad I got this fixed, it's spring break this week and I was worried I wasn't going to have the new SVS to play with!
Again thanks for all the help!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Find out if that amp has a bass-boost built in. Some did, but that may have been in the past. You DON'T want it.
The 18 ga is not a good idea. You'll use every bit of that amp sooner or later, and the last thing you want to do is jeporadize the sound you spent all of this time and money on with five bucks' worth of speaker wire.
Get a better quality sub cable later. You may need one if you hear some sort of buzz or distortion from RF interference, but it's no biggie.
Have fun.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks