What's new

Got any good recipes? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am looking for simple recipes for 1-2 people, that preserve well as leftovers and don't take too much time to fix.
For example, I have a basic meat sauce of ground beef, onions, mushrooms, Newman's sauce, and diced Rotel. It goes with spaghetti, lasagna, etc., and can be frozen in quantity.
Saturday, wild chef that I am, I added some cooked rice to this sauce and stuffed some large green bell peppers...baked for 15 minutes and voila, had a nice little dinner that took less than an hour to make, and would be worthy of company the next time I want to cook for someone.
Suggestions?
- Steve

Steven K

Supporting Actor
What are you looking for? I've actually taken up cooking some since I got out of college, so I've got recipes all over the place.
Anything in particular? I have tons of recipes for Italian food (gotta please the woman, she's almost exclusive to Italian food)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Anything and everything...Italian is good. I've even been looking for an excuse to upgrade the Weber to a gas grill.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
how about a pork loin? add some corn and mashed potatoes and yer set.
take a pork tenderloin, shake lemon pepper all over it, shove a meat thermometer in it, toss it in the oven at 325 until it's done according to the thermometer.
peel the potatoes, boil them until they're soft, mix them with 8 oz of sour cream and 1 package of cream cheese.
make the gravy and you're done

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I've even been looking for an excuse to upgrade the Weber to a gas grill.
Go for it Steve, you'll never look back!
There's a great book widely available titled The Gas Grill Gourmet which teaches you the correct method for cooking on a gas grill (almost like an oven w/grill marks) and has a zillion recipes for grilling all types of meats, veggies and even desserts. The recipes are very simple (try the Hoisin Pork Chops) when compared to any other cookbook I've seen, and the cooking instructions are very detailed.
Oh, and I think now is a good time to buy since they are considered a seasonal item, we picked up a nice one last March on sale at Sears for $200 and absolutely love it! If they offer you the extended warranty/maintenance plan, I would highly recommend it! I did not purchase that plan, but now wish I had, since it includes an ON-SITE disassembling/cleaning/maintenance visit each year of the plan... I am amazed at how filthy this grill is already!
------------------
sig.jpg

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There's always char chicken and fire rice, a staple around here.
Chicken thighs or legs (thighs catch on fire easier) bbq'd 20 minutes. If you prefer less charcoal on your food, don't let it catch on fire.
1 cup rice, 1/2 big can diced tomatoes, 1 cup water, Patak's curry paste to taste (I like tandoori, vindaloo or hot curry, about a tablespoon will blow the roof of your mouth off, less adds nice flavor and zing).
Bring to boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Dinner's ready when the fire department shows up.
-------------------------
For meat sauce, sautee ground beef in a tablespoon tobasco sauce and balsamic vinegar before adding chopped onion and green pepper. Then add canned diced tomatos and Hunt's tomato sauce (Italian or garlic), diced garlic (lots!), oregano, s&p to taste. Simmer for a while. Can be converted to chili by adding kidney beans and hot sauces to your tolerance...
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Julie K

Screenwriter
Go for it Steve, you'll never look back!
I went the opposite direction! I had a gas grill for ages, and was just never completely happy with it. I might as well have stuck the food in the kitchen oven. Charcoal isn't as neat and easy, but food sure tastes better over it. I use chunk charcoal (no nasty briquettes!) and a little bit of wood chips.
As for recipes, there's always chili. Brown ground beef in your favorite type of fat, add onions, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and celery. Add as much mild chile powder as you like, top that off with a bunch of cayenne powder and some cumin. You may add some tomato sauch too if you like. Simmer this for a few hours, add beans if you wish (but some folks will kill you for this
wink.gif
). Eat what you want from the pot, then place the pot into the fridge for as many days as the chili lasts.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Good suggestions, everyone!
I actually do a decent chili, and the weather is getting to be such that it's time to make some.
- Steve

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bo Go Ki, it's fast, it's nummy
In the morning, take thin sliced beef (here in Philly I use cheesesteak meat), and coat the bottom of a tupperwear container with about 1/8" of soy sauce. Add ginger, and garlic and onion powder to this (I measure by eye, a bit and 2 dashes :). Slice up about 3 scallions, throw it in. Close the container and shake to coat the meat, and let marinate at least 2-3 hours.
Throw it in a pan, and cook till the meat is brown, serve with rice.
Jeff Kleist

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Taco Soup
Ingredients:
2 pounds of ground beef or turkey (lean)
1 envelope of taco seasoning
1 onion
1 can of mexican tomatoes, pinto beans, golden hominy, black beans, chili beans and red kidney beans. (12 ounces)
2 cans of 8 ounces of tomato paste.
Brown the onion and turkey, add seasoning, add all the rest with two cups of water. Let simmer.
Fixings:
Chips--the Lime-flavored Tostitos are awesome
low fat sour cream
mexican cheese
Cilantro
------------------
Dustin A. Davis '94
Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Link Removed
"But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers
[Edited last by DustinDavis on October 29, 2001 at 03:05 PM]
[Edited last by DustinDavis on October 29, 2001 at 03:07 PM]

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
El Monte Stew:
Olive oil
2 lb Pork loin
Flour
Adobo Salt
1 or 2 Chipotle Peppers
6 cloves garlic
2 sweet onions
2 cans of beer (open several hours before and leave out if possible)
6 bay leaves
Ground Cumin
Oregano
Ground white pepper
6 New potatoes
3 Roasted and peeled green chili
1 Green Pepper
1 box of frozen corn
1 Lime
Shake pork in flour and adobo salt
Shake off excess flour and brown in hot oil.
When Brown add:
6 cloves garlic chopped
2 onions cut in large pieces
Sauté until onions are soft.
Then add:
2 cans of beer
6 bay leaves
oregano to taste
cumin to taste
adobo to taste
ground white pepper to taste
Simmer one hour.
While simmering:
roast the green pepper and green chilies direct on the flame turning until all the skin is black and charred then place in a brown paper bag
After one hour add:
Potatoes cut in quarters
taste broth and add more seasoning to taste if needed
Simmer 30 min.
While simmering:
Peel the green pepper and chilies under water until most of the skin is off and cut into large pieces then add to the stew with the box of frozen corn.
Simmer 30 min.
Garnish with Cilantro and Fresh lime slices
Serve with yellow rice and warm flour tortillas.

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Best Recipe for Roast ...
1 1/2 Lb Black Angus Roast
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can Golden Mushroom Soup
4 - 5 cloves of garlic ... peeled and smashed slightly
1 Package Dry Onion Soup ...
Mix the soups & garlic in a slow cooker/crock pot ...
Season the Roast with Salt & Pepper ...
Brown the Roast in a pan with about 2 Tbs olive oil for about 3-4 mins per side
remove the roast from a pan and pour about 1/2 cup red wine in the pan for deglazing ...
After the pan is deglazed pour this into the slow cooker and cook the roast for about 3 hours ...
In a seperate pan cut onions, carrots, and potatoes into big pieces ... I usually just cut everything in half ... Put these in an oven and allow to cook for about 1 1/2 hours ...
Add them to the slow cooker after the roast has been in for about 3 hours ... Slow Cook another 1/2 hour ...
Remove the meat and vegetables ...
The remaining liquid can be thickened with a little corn starch and used as Gravy ... Some may think it doesn't need to be thickened ...
For those who do not use corn starch on a regular basis do not just pour some into the gravy ... mix it with cold water at first and then pour it in ... otherwise it'll just become a lumpy mess ...
I tell you ... You will never eat a roast another way if you try this ...
------------------
"I will drop-kick those f#$%ing dogs if they come near me."
Frank T.J. Mackey ... Magnolia

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
, onions, mushrooms, Newman's sauce, and diced Rotel. It goes with spaghetti, lasagna, etc., and can be frozen in quantity.
Steve --- C'mon partner ... Spaghetti or lasagna calls for ground Italian sausage ... Even a healthy Ground italian turkey sausage before ground beef ... Although it's really pointless to try to go healthy in making lasagna since it's going to be full of ricotta ...

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Great marinade for grilled meats ...
3 Tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp Lawrey's Garlic Salt w/ parsley(I think this is Lawrey's ... It's easy to find in your spice section the lid is green)
1 tsp Lawrey's Season Salt w/ Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tbs Worcesteshire Sauce (Lea Perrins Pers Fav)
Punch of Dark Mustard
Works great for steak, chicken, pork, wolf, dog ... You name it ... It makes it taste better ...
And you can always 'blaze' it up a few steps w/ some Tabasco or Louisiana Hot

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Cooked Chicken
6-7 LB chicken,
1 cup melted butter,
1 cup stuffing,
1 cup uncooked popcorn.
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.
Place in baking pan in oven.
Listen for popping sounds.
When chicken's ass blows out the oven door and flies across the room,
chicken is done
yum.gif

------------------
Chad's DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks