What's new

Got any good recipes? (1 Viewer)

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Julie, don't throw out that Weber. I get hardwood mesquite charcoal from the local flea market at $11 for a 30lb bag and that stuff is just so much better than briquets or gas. I do keep a small gas grill on the side for quick grillin' when I'm pressed for time, but the Weber is the heart and soul of my BBQ. You're more interested in recipes though...
Cornish game hen in tequila marinade
Since it's just 2 of you, cut a game hen in half and marinade in a shot or two of tequila(preferably Cuervo Gold), juice of 1/2 lime, a dash or 3 of tabasco(McIlhenney has a new habanero flavor out that's tasty), and a drizzle of olive oil. Let it sit for a half hour or so in the fridge then grill for about 45 minutes over indirect heat in the Weber turning once halfway through.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I've been really into cooking since college, let me pass on some recipes and kitchen tips for those interested:
Tips on outfitting a kitchen
Knives: get yourself at least one good knife. It will probably cost about $80, and it will be worth every penny. Pick something that fits nicely in your hand (about 8" is right for most people, and no wise cracks!
wink.gif
).
Pots and pans: Cast iron is fantastic! But season well first. Most pans come with instructions. Never wash cast iron with soap, unless you like that soapy taste. Try to pick up a few good pots and pans, maybe one large saute pan, a 3 quart saucepan minimum. These should be as nice as you can afford, and will probably cost a lot more than you think! Look for good brands like all-clad, kitchenaid, calphalon. Once you have these two good pans you can buy some cheaper stuff for the rest of the kitchen. If you can afford it, get all nice pans.
Electrics: The two single best electrics you can get for your kitchen are a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a Kitchenaid food processor. I tried the Cuisinart, but I like the kitchenaid much better, it was easier to use.
Recipes
Pizza: Once you have made your own pizza you will never want to order in again. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you can make the dough in advance and keep it for up to a week. After the dough is made, you can make a pizza in about 20 minutes! The only special tool you may want is a peel (those wooden pizza shover things you see in pizza joints). You can get one for about $7, and it's worth it. You can bake the pizza either on a baking sheet, or on a stone. You can buy a pizza stone, or just use a big unfinished tile from Home Depot.
3 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp salt (kosher)
1 packet active yeast
1 cup water
1 tsp honey
Take 1/4 cup of the water and heat it up until it is hot to the touch but you can leave your finger in it for at least 5 seconds. Add the honey and the yeast, stir well and let sit for about two minutes.
Pour the yeast mixture into a large bowl and start adding the flour and salt and the rest of the water. Mix well until you have a nice dough. Kneed until supple (this will take about 10 minutes). The dough will be perfect when you can make what is called a bakers window with it. To test this break off a piece of dough about the size of a quarter, flatten it and start stretching it out. If you can make a membrane that you can see light through, it's good. If it tears, you should kneed more. (this isn't totally necessary, however, don't get hung up on it).
rub the dough with a little coating of olive oil, put it back in the bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The next day take it out, cut it into two pieces. Roll these pieces into balls and start turning them inside out (push up in the middle and pull down on the edges to make it look like a jelly fish. Then scrunch the bottom to make it round again. Do this until it looks smooth, about 5 or six times). Put the balls back in the bowl, cover, and let sit for about 20 minutes. Your dough is now done!
Preheat your oven to 475 degrees (if you have a stone put it in first). Take one of the dough balls and flatten it out into a pizza. I like to do this by flattening it out, then stretching it over my fist until I have a nice pizza shape. Sprinkle some corn meal on your peel (the stuff is like little ball bearings and will make for an easy transfer) and lay out your pizza. Put any sauce you want on top, cover with any toppings (I like a mix of mozzarella and pecorino romano cheese and some garlic). Put in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove, let sit for about 5 minutes, and serve!
I know that sounds like a lot of work, but it's actually really easy once you try it, and it tastes really good. And you can impress all the ladies with your culinary skill.
Enjoy,
Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks