Puppy problems

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robyn, May 1, 2005.

1. Robyn

Robyn Stunt Coordinator

Hey all! I've got a puppy problem. I just got a new puppy a few months ago (a little Westie) and he's still being potty trained. Even thought I clean up his messes ASAP, I've noticed that my house is starting to smell like wee. Anyone out there have any good tips on getting rid of the odor? Someone told me about mixing vinegar and water to get rid of the smell after I've wiped up the mess. Any prducts to recommend? Homemade recipes for sprays? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    You will not get urine smell out of carpet. If you havnt already, you need to use the "crate method" to train him, and/or restrict his running around the house to places wihtout carpet.

Do what you can to soak it up as fast as possible on carpet, soap and water works well, then let it dry.

Try boiling lemons/lemon juice and water and letting it flow throughout the house. Works pretty good.

Febreeze works well. You'll eventually get sorta used to it, but anyone visiting will quickly know u have a pet [​IMG]

No Rinse shampoo weekly or between baths will keep your pooch smelling great and wont harm his skin.

Good Luck.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

You can with a Hoover steam-vac and about 8oz of Petzyme stain and odor remover mixed with 1 gallon of carpet cleaning/water solution.

Also, get some enzyme spray from a pet store (I use Petzyme) to use after cleaning up an accident. You just saturate the area after soaking up the urine and let it dry on it's own. The enzymes will take care of the odor.

I second Henry's suggestion to crate train. My wife's pomeranian (5 months old) is puppy pad trained but we haven't been able to properly housebreak her because of our work schedules.

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Natures Miracle works well. The problem isn't as much finding something to get the smell out of the carpert as it is finding all the spots that have been urinated on...Chances are, you haven't witnessed every spot.

If you decide to try crate training, do take out a book on it and read up on the correct way to crate train. Lots of people do it incorrectly.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Don't forget about the padding under the carpet...

6. ChipFiev

ChipFiev Extra

If you want to find the worst spots in the carpet, buy a black light. They sell them at Petsmart and Petco. Theoretically, the less evidence of himself your puppy smells the less likely he is to eliminate inside.

My puppy had a bladder infection a couple of months ago. After he was better, there were still some spots in the house that peaked his attention. One black light and one steam vac (and one neutering [​IMG] ) later, we've got a perfect little puppy.

7. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    You must use some type of enzyme spray, or you will have the pet urine smell. Also, the urine can act like a bleach on the carpet, chaning the color, over time (from first had experience).

If puppy has an accident:

1. Blot it up wiht paper towel. Don't push down too hard, but get as much up as possible.

2. Use a clean paper towel, and do it again.

3. Soak (and I mean soak) the area of the mess with enzyme cleaner. Spray around the area (for dribbles) and saturate it.

4. Lay a white paper towel over the area, and spray a little cleaner on it. This will keep the area moist a bit longer, and allow the enzyme to eat more of the uric acid. Plus, this helps avoid the wet sock problem from late night walks to the bathroom.

As someone who had to spend almost $4k to change his carpets due to dog accidents, prevention is the answer. Use enzyme cleaners. Nothing else. Natures miracle, Petzyme, whatever. Otherwise, you are just covering the odor, and the dog will go right back.

8. Robyn

Robyn Stunt Coordinator

Wow! You guys were so helpful! I found a nice enzyme cleaner at my local pet store. After much soaking and dabbing, it really seems to have helped my problem. I was so desperate that I threw my sofa slipcovers into the washer (gentle cycle) even though the directions said not to. It didn't seem to hurt them and now I can once again sit on my sofa. I have been trying to crate train him, and he never goes potty in his crate. He goes potty when I take him outside but he seems to have very little holding power and he doesn't let me know when he needs to go out. I'm trying the "ring the bells" method, but he's not catching on yet. Thanks again for the helpful tips! [​IMG]