What's new

Goodbye Mr.Bond...Sean Connery Dead At 90 (1 Viewer)

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
FRWL is and will always be my favorite Bond movie. It’s a great spy thriller, without some of the sci-fi elements (which I do enjoy) that came later.

Watched Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) yesterday. Connery is great in it. I like his relationship with the Sam Niell character. Special visual effects and surround sound are excellent. This is my favorite of the 4 original Jack Ryan films with a great Poledouris score, especially the choral sequences.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Another loss that only makes 2020 a year we hope is done making history. As people call up his many great films, one that I haven't seen mentioned is "Family Business" with Dustin Hoffman and Mathew Broderick. Under the direction of Sidney Lumet, he delivered a strong, complex, and memorable performance and easily went toe-to-toe with Hoffman. He will be missed. Cinema has lost a great one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched Hunt for Red October (blu-ray) yesterday. Connery is great in it. I like his relationship with the Sam Niell character. Special visual effects and surround sound are excellent. This is my favorite of the 4 original Jack Ryan films with a great Poledouris score, especially the choral sequences.
Hell, it's probably the favorite Jack Ryan film for a vast majority of people.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hell, it's probably the favorite Jack Ryan film for a vast majority of people.
Agreed, and while I am a big Harrison Ford fan, I always wondered why they never went with Baldwin for the sequels. I guess they viewed Connery as the bankable star and needed more "star power" for the sequels. That's just a total guess. Overall though I don't really rewatch the other three, I recall seeing them around the release dates and enjoying them for what they were, but I really enjoy rewatching HfRO on a regular basis.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Agreed, and while I am a big Harrison Ford fan, I always wondered why they never went with Baldwin for the sequels. I guess they viewed Connery as the bankable star and needed more "star power" for the sequels. That's just a total guess. Overall though I don't really rewatch the other three, I recall seeing them around the release dates and enjoying them for what they were, but I really enjoy rewatching HfRO on a regular basis.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps, I'm misremembering, but I think Baldwin made a negotiating error with Paramount and overpriced himself.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh man that article Worth linked to...not great, Bob. But I imagine shenanigans like that happen on quite a regular basis in that industry. Still, feel bad for him.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Every few years, ever since he retired from films, I always wonder how he’s doing given how famously private he’s been. Oddly, I thought of him last night again before going to sleep, thinking about how much I’ll enjoy seeing him again in 4K when the Indy series comes out hopefully next year. And I woke up to this sad news. Godspeed and god bless Mr. Connery. You will be missed. And thank you for the gifts you’ve left us in the form of your work.

I too had him come to mind a few days before this news and wondered how he was doing given his age :emoji_cry:

Valheru

Grip
Real Name
Steve
I’m the biggest bond fan on the planet and of course he is the one true James Bond

however he had some other great movies. Here are a few of my favorites:

Untouchables
The Last Crusade
Hunt for Red October
Highlander
Darby O’Gill and the Little People

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
RIP Commander Bond!

ijlc89____seanconnery-fscn002_copy_-_h_2018-compressed.jpg

Sean-Connery-Bond.jpg

Man Who Would Be King,
Robin And Marian,
Zardoz,
Murder On The Orient Express,
Medicine Man,
Untouchables,
Hunt For Red October,
Entrapment,
Name Of The Rose,
Great Train Robbery,
The Wind And The Lion
Anderson Tapes,
Darby O'Gill,
Marnie

Highlander
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
007 Diamonds Are Forever
007 Never Say Never Again
007 Dr No
007 You Only Live Twice
007 From Russia With Love
007 Thunderball
007 Goldfinger
Finding Forester
First Knight
A Bridge To Far
Dragon Heart
Rising Sun
The Hill
The Russia House
Outland
Just Cause
The Offense
Woman Of Straw
Highlander 2

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Select amc theaters are showing Goldfinger for $5 this weekend. Hunt for red October is also playing.

Select Marcus theaters are showing Dr. No this weekend.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Select amc theaters are showing Goldfinger for $5 this weekend. Hunt for red October is also playing.

Select Marcus theaters are showing Dr. No this weekend.

Going to Goldfinger on Tuesday night. $5.
I debated it but I don’t think there will be another time for seeing it theatrically.
I’d regret it if I didn’t go too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Saw Goldfinger last night. It was great to see it on a big screen.

Finishing up a podcast by the 00 Files on Sean. James Bond radio has also recorded one too.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM will be showing Sean Connery films starting Wednesday 8 PM November 25th.

The new schedule for Wednesday, November 25 will be:
8:00 PM Thunderball (1965)
10:30 PM You Only Live Twice (1967)
12:45 AM Marnie (1964)
3:15 AM The Hill (1965)
5:30 AM The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks