What's new

Goodbye Mr.Bond...Sean Connery Dead At 90 (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So sad about Sean. A good life though. My second favorite James Bond.

I picked up the great train robbery and never say never again both on iTunes for $8 each. Many more of his films are on sale too.

I love his 007 films the most but his part in Indiana Jones was great and of course the untouchables.

I listened to many of the film scores from his 007 films today.

Farewell Sir Sean.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I had heard that he wasn't in good health, so I can't say the announcement was a shock, but it was very, very sad.

And his last roles, particularly his unfortunately crabby "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", proved that he was happier to settle into retirement after a long career, rather than see it decline.

Still...why no, Mr. Bond, we were NOT expecting you to die. :(

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So sad about Sean. A good life though. My second favorite James Bond.
[...]
The only other plausible option towards there being a numero uno over the original Bond would be the very creator of 007, himself. Fleming. Ian Fleming.:)

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Farewell James Bond .. and so many other memorable characters disappear with him.
Not least of the post Bond characters was Marko Ramus in 'The Hunt for Red October' .. and not surprisingly two of the finest tributes paid to him today have come from his co-stars on that movie, Sam Neill and Alex Baldwin. My wife, an inveterate Instagram poster and follower, has tracked both those, and I urge you all to do so too.
He was the greatest ......

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
One of cinema's most entertaining actors, period. He proved to have incredible versatility outside of the Bond films (and he remains my favorite Bond). I think he's terrific in A FINE MADNESS WAC DVD) and THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING. His Oscar - winning performance, all too short, in THE UNTOUCHABLES added a huge touch of class to that already excellent film. THE HILL -- if you haven't seen it, try to find it. Extraordinary, as is THE OFFENCE, another lesser-known film. His career weaves toward and away from typical Hollywood fare and frequently lands in uncharted waters, as Connery was a risk-taker and probably came closer to shaking his Bond roots than anyone else could have.

Women love him, men love him. Kids love him. Of course he'll be missed, but he hadn't been on screen since 2003, and, after all, 90 years represents a pretty lengthy life for anyone, but especially for a hard-working male. He gave us a legacy that we can own and view anytime we wish, and because he was such a delightful screen personality, we can't help but find ourselves mesmerized by him, even in bad movies, of which he made a few. But let's remember him for his droll performances in the aforementioned titles, plus INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE and THE TIME BANDITS and ROBIN AND MARIAN and so many more. He wasn't just James Bond. He was just about everyone.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t want to overthink my movie choice for tonight and just went with the first thing to come to mind - and that wound up being Diamonds Are Forever, which I had been thinking about watching earlier in the week. I love how ridiculous the whole thing is and Connery perfectly plays the absurdity of it all. Despite owning the BD and 4K digital, I popped in the old SE DVD - something about the slightly faded element used and mild damage/wear and tear gives it an appropriate midnight movie feel.

Just as fun as it ever was.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sean Connery leaving this world and finding Sha Ka Ree.

;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I didn’t want to overthink my movie choice for tonight and just went with the first thing to come to mind - and that wound up being Diamonds Are Forever, which I had been thinking about watching earlier in the week. I love how ridiculous the whole thing is and Connery perfectly plays the absurdity of it all. Despite owning the BD and 4K digital, I popped in the old SE DVD - something about the slightly faded element used and mild damage/wear and tear gives it an appropriate midnight movie feel.

Great choice, great film and one of my top Connery 007 films. Thunderball is my other top Connery 007.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

I viewed Diamonds Are Forever last night and it does have a ridiculous plot but very entertaining with Charles Grey playing the least threating villain Blofeld.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I love how ridiculous the whole thing is and Connery perfectly plays the absurdity of it all...
I've never understood the criticisms of his performance in this one, that he seems bored or disinterested. While he does look older and overweight, I've always thought he was having a lot of fun, and he isn't so much playing Bond, but has transformed Bond into himself.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Outland finally has a good transfer on home video.

After I heard the news yesterday I decided to watch my favorite 007, From Russia with Love. I know that young folks don’t love the early Bonds as too slow moving with not enough action. However, From Russia with Love has a terrific story with the McGuffin of the Lektor. The super cast of evil villains played by Robert Shaw in an early role, Lotte Lenya, as Kleb with the lethal shoe, and of course the gorgeous Daniela Bianchi. The extra heart of this movie is provided by the friendship of the Pedro Armendariz character with 007. This is all topped off by John Barry’s score blended with the Lionel Bart song, From Russia with Love. BTW, the transfer of FRWL on blu-ray in the Bond Collection has superb video & great surround audio. Today will be the wonderful Hunt for Red October, one of my favorite non-Bond Connery films.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I chose to go with Dr. No last night. From Russia With Love is probably my favorite over Goldfinger. I think both are great for differing reasons. Also I believe FRWL is Connery’s favorite. So that might be the next film I view. But I’ll probably view each Connery Bond in order.

The Hunt for Red October and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are favorites So those will be in the queue.

i happen to pick up Russia House a few weeks ago while picking up Twilight Time titles while I could. I’ve never seen it. And I’ve been very curious about Robin and Marian, another title I don’t own and I’ve not seen. I do have the Criterion Time Bandits still sealed. There’s quite a few more titles I do not have in my collection yet. So I’ll be busy.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I viewed Diamonds Are Forever last night and it does have a ridiculous plot but very entertaining with Charles Grey playing the least threating villain Blofeld.

It’s a fun 007 film for sure. Great score and as I said it’s always one I go back to.
I love the fact that I’ve been to several vegas filming locations too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks