Good Universal Remotes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Tenniswood, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

So I've got just about everything I wanted to get...and the half-dozen remotes that came with everything. Now I'm looking to get one Uber-Remote. I was wondering if the Sony RM-VL900 was a good one? If not, what should I get. I've only got about $70 to spend on the remote, so no Pronto for me :-(
    Thanks
    -Rob

2. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on what you need it for... The rm-vl900 is good but I have a replay TV and it was a pain trying to remember just what buttons were programmed for each function. I ended up getting the JBL TC-1000 (touchscreen that can be setup via PC) and so far I like it. Check Ebay for lower prices on remotes, you can find some really good deals (The Sony AV2100 seems to end around $60 so the 900 should be much cheaper). Also, check www.remotecentral.com for more info than you'll ever need about remotes.

3. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

I also have the JBL TC-1000. I got it direct from JBL on ebay for $65. JBL runs a storeon ebay. Great value.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I got one of those TC-1000...labeled a Madrigal IRIQ. Its really a very nice touchscreen remote for the money. I just wish there were more discreet codes available. Macros are great to set-up, even macros within a macro (is that right?)

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

For just a few bucks more (anywhere from 30.00 and up depending on where you shop) you can get the Sony RM-AV3000 Universal Remote Commander. I've had it for a few months and love it.

6. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

For about $30 the One For All and Radio Shack remotes are great, and with the info on www.hifi-remote.com you should be able to get it to control almost everything. The Radio Shack 15-1994 remote that I have is excellent but it has long since been replaced by the 15-2104 which is still good but nowhere near as good as the 15-1994. One For All Cinema 7 is now the better choice, although you will have to do some research on the previously mentioned remotecentral web site because I believe that there is a new model that is replacing the Cinema 7. With both of these remotes you can't label your buttons so you may have the issue that Evan mentioned that it is a pain to remember which buttons you programmed your functions to. But the price can't be beat for the functionality that you can program into it.