What's new

Old dude from Central Washington (1 Viewer)

99dart

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Hi everyone, I had to make note I am from central WA because almost everyone thinks of WA as Seattle weather. I'm here to learn some new stuff about home theater (Universal remotes specifically). Our home was flooded by a burst fridge filter in November, so I took advantage of no floors/sheetrock to run hidden speaker wires. Then, purchased Polk Audio surround speakers to go with my existing components. , So far it is sounding pretty good. I need some help finding a good universal remote. I have been using a Logitech Harmony Companion/hub for a little over a year. It has been the most frustrating piece of technology (ha, you thought I was going to say $hyte) I have ever tried to use! I have reset/reprogramed multiple times, now it quit working all together. So, anyone have advise for an old dude that really hates programing remotes! Thanks guys.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
In the mid 90's after I graduated from college, I took a road trip to Seattle. I hated Seattle after 2 days of job hunting.

On the way back to KY, in the high plains, it was the most amazing thing to watch it raining and the rain evaporate before it hit the ground.

I'm no spring chicken... I was in the military for a while before that.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
On remotes: I visited my mom recently and she complained about having to use 3 remotes, so I got her a universal remote and programmed it for her.
Don't remember which remote I got, but wasn't very expensive, from Walmart. Programming was a bit of a hassle, but not as bad as I feared.

She certainly appreciated only needing a single remote.

Programming wasn't very difficult, but got tedious by the time I got to finishing programming the 3rd device. Only real hassle was I had to manually step through every frequency available for the Yamaha receiver, until I found the one that would pair the reciever to the remote. OMG was that tedious. That was the 3rd and final device.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

What's your list of devices needing to be controlled? Aside from the fact that they have recently announced they will be leaving the universal remote business, Logitech's Harmony line is generally regarded as the best consumer-level solution out there. There are plenty of folks here who use them. Hopefully some will chime in to assist.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So what’s the difference between central Washington and Seattle weather?

welcome to The Forum, btw! :welcome:
A lot more snow, and it only rains nonstop for two months out of the year. At least that's what Spokane is like, which is at the extreme East side of the State.

99dart

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
So what’s the difference between central Washington and Seattle weather?

welcome to The Forum, btw! :welcome:
Wenatchee only gets 9" rain per year. And, that doesn't even sound right... Our winters are fairly mild, with a couple, three heavy snowfalls of 5- 8". Summers are HOT 85- 100 degrees for mid-June thru mid-September. Seattle seems to us that it is cloudy, rainy year around. Their winters are depressing too me.

99dart

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat
Welcome!

What's your list of devices needing to be controlled? Aside from the fact that they have recently announced they will be leaving the universal remote business, Logitech's Harmony line is generally regarded as the best consumer-level solution out there. There are plenty of folks here who use them. Hopefully some will chime in to assist.
I don't have a bunch of stuff to control. A/V receiver, DirecTV box, CD player and flat screen tv. I thought Harmony remotes were supposed to be the best. But, after messing with the "Companion hub" remote I was about to throw it against the wall! I ended up using our DirecTV dual IR/RF remotes and an IR booster to control everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyorc
Recent bookmarks