What's new

Good speakers to fit in special design TV wall (1 Viewer)

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
Our architect/designer has a very unique and special idea for our main Lounge TV wall, with vertical wooden slats similar to as in this attached picture. Funny thing is that we have already bought the exact same light fitting as in this picture (but that is besides the point)
creative-wood-paneling.1.jpg
The Architect's idea was to hide the speakers behind the wooden slats -> which is a big NO NO.
So now I am going to face him with the fact that the speakers will have to be seen and he must come up with the best design as so.
Before I lay this fact on him I must kind of decide which speakers I am going to be putting there: In-wall or On-wall

For In wall there are many solutions even using an in-wall sub such as the Monitor Audio IWS-10:
IWS-10_inwall_sub.jpg
For On-wall I am not so sure.
Currently I am looking at the Monitor Audio Soundframe line which come both in the On-wall verssion or a half ressesed in-wall version:
Monitor_Audio_Soundframe.jpg

Or The KEF T301 series :
Kef_T_series.jpg

Wondering which would give me better sound also for music : On-wall or In-wall.
Any recommendations?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Generally speaking, on-wall will sound better than in wall, because drywall makes for a lousy speaker cabinet. That said, there are good and bad examples of both kinds. At least with on-wall you get the option of easily changing them if for some reason you aren’t happy with them, or wish to upgrade in the future. No in-wall sub will be able to compare with even a mid-line standard subwoofer.

BTW, TVs should be at roughly eye level for the most comfortable long-term viewing. For some reason people seem inclined to treat them as pictures when they go to put them on the wall.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Toffi

Auditioning
Real Name
Raoul
Is this true even though the on-wall speakers are much slimmer in depth than the in-wall ones: around 3-4 cm compared to 8-9 cm?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another option are in-ceiling speakers. These have the worst imaging in my experience. But if room aesthetics are paramount, they're an option.

After that, I'd agree with Wayne that on-wall are your most robust option for near and long term, if you can't do free standing speakers.

Still, I've got in-wall speakers in one room and they can be made to sound good.

But if you're keeping the slatted wall, no matter what the speakers, it's going to affect the sound with its reflections and diffractions of the acoustic waves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks