What's new

good geneaology sites/software (1 Viewer)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I got a bunch of family history documents from my parents tonight that I want to organize into a family tree. Does anyone have any suggestions for a) Windows software for building a tree/ancestry and b) good sites for research.

The only windows product I've seen is Family Tree Maker, which got pretty bad reviews on Amazon. The main sites I've peeked at are ellisisland.org and ancestry.com. Ancestry.com seems to have a ton of information but can get expensive if you want to look at all the old census, military, birth records, etc.. I've also heard there's some sort of uber-ancestry site run by the Mormons. Anyone ever use it ?

If anyone else has any suggestions for other sites/software/books, it would be appreciated. Things specific to Germany would be good as my dad's side is 100% (surnames Kloth - uncommon, & Meyer, very common)

thanks !

James_S

Second Unit
First off welcome to another addiction. Geneaology is very addicting and very frustrating at times.

"SOFTWARE"
I use Genertions Grande Suite ( I am not sure if they still make this, it's made by Sierra) - Very easy to use, the first screen that comes up after you install is enter your info and than the tabs are easily seen to add the next generation and the next one, and etc. I have been using it for about 5 years now and I have had no problems. You can attach jpegs. to each family memeber for pics, docs, etc.

On my mom's side of the family I am back to the late 1600's and my dad's side to the early 1800's. I have approx 750 in my software program right now, and have about another 200+ getting information for so I may enter it.

There are 2 main things that you want to always do/remember:

1. "PROVE IT" Always have at least two sources that match. I don't mean two websites that share info that match.(happens alot). I mean if one site said "Jack" was born in Allentown, Penn. on a website. Get documentation from Allentown, Penn. that he was born there and prove it.

2. "FAMILIES" I don't want to say this in a mean way, But stories about the family get exaggerated, "Grandpa" said "this" and "Great Aunt" says "that". But "Uncle George" said "this" and "that" is not true, it was "the other" Take the info and only use it as a guideline and remember "PROVE IT" - Stories are great beleive only some of it. Example of mine - I had many family members state that one of my great-great uncles was born on a ship on the way to America from Norway in 1880, well after months of searching I found a passport from Norway that states he was born 3 days before the ship sailed to America. Again prove it.

Here are some good starting places that I use:

LDS Church I use this one kinda after I have some good info, The site has a lot of good info and you want to make sure you have good info to match it.

RootsWeb Very Good site!

The mother of all sites (Where I first started) - Over 200,000 links by topic, country, state, etc, etc. and etc.
Cyndi"s list

And one more: Ebay

I have to run for the day, But e-mail me or PM me and I can help you get started, suggest some others sites and some books, and do some look-ups for you on Ancestry.com [email protected]

Good luck and have fun.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks