What's new

Good DVD's for HT System (1 Viewer)

BrianSmithe

Agent
I was just looking for people's favorites on DVD's to show off good Dolby Digital/DTS Audio AND/or nice video scenes. Thanks!

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Everyone has their favorite titles to point to for this kind of thing. Here's a list of what I use when I want to wow someone who's a n00b to DVD/HT:

Metallica: Cunning Stunts (sound and concert DVD authoring)
Saving Private Ryan - Omaha Beach Landing (everything)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - (DVD Authoring, commentary, extras)
Titanic - Sinking Ship (everything, sound especially)

Honestly though, it's what you and your audience are into. Showing someone SPR when they hate war films probably won't impress them, even if you stress you only want them to listen for how the sound field works. As a trend, action movie fans are those most interested in clever use of the sub and the surrounds.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This thread should be in SOFTWARE section. Brian, welcome to the HTF. You may want to try a search on this subject. There are numerous threads already.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
One of my favourites is Terminator 2 UE because not only are the audio and video great, but the DVD gives you a choice between DD and dts, plus it has very nice DD and dts trailers on it. Others good for the HT system (that I have at least) include...
- Gladiator (audio/video)
- Toy Story UTB (audio/video)
- Titan AE (audio)
- Independence Day (audio/video)
- Jurassic Park boxset (audio)
- A Bug's Life (audio/video)
- Dinosaur (video)
- The Fifth Element (audio/video)
- The Mask Of Zorro (audio)
- The Matrix (audio)
- Men In Black (audio)
- The Perfect Storm (audio)
- The Prince Of Egypt (audio)
- Shrek (video)
- The Phantom Menace (audio)
- Tarzan (video)
- Titanic (audio)
- Vertical Limit (audio/video)

Kami

Screenwriter
Neil has a good list but I'll also add Twister (the DTS edition). The first 5 minutes is violent, aggressive, and full of bass. All 5 speakers are active for the whole 5 minutes almost.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
try the three dog night live with the tennessee symphony orchestra dvd or the bad company merchants of cool dvd[both DTS]they'll give your system a good workout

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Moulin Rouge, Citizen Kane, and 8 1/2 are my top picks.

All have excellent video and audio, great supplements, and overall great presentation of the film.

Snow White, Being There, O Brother Where Art Thou, City Lights, and A.I. are also great, but not all provide a lot of supplements. (Some do, some don't.)

Being There, IMO, is one of the best kept secrets of DVD. The video is flawless, the audio is excellent (1.0 mono, but crystal clear) and is anamorphic 1.78:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks