What's new

Good books on Warner Brothers History? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi,

I am interested in reading more about the "golden age" of Warner Brothers (pre 1950). What books do you guys recommend? I see there are some out of print Rudy Behlmer titles; are those worth going after?

Thanks,

Steve

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Try "Round Up The Usual Suspects: The Making of Casablanca - Bogart, Bergman, and World War II" by Aljean Harmetz. Despite its title, it is very much a history of Warner Bros. as well the making of the movie itself. Excellent references and notes. One of my favorite books.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I also liked Inside Warner Bros. (1935-1951) by Behlmer, which is a collection of interoffice memos from WB (or as the tag line on the book's cover says, "The Battles, the Brainstorms and the Bickering - from the files of Hollywood's greatest studio"). A fun read and you can read it cover-to-cover or skip around to your favorite years or films.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I love books on classic Hollywood and have an extensive library, however I have a huge gaping hole when it comes to WB. I own the Casablanca books as recommended above, but I havent read it.

That said, there's a great documentary on DVD called "Here's Looking at you WB", which goes back to the very beginnings of the studios all the way through the 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks