1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Good banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

What are the best banana plugs? With no soldering required. Are those ones that come with two together good? Is that a pretty standard size?

I bought some recently but they seem cheap as hell.. and they don't stay in my onkyo binding posts that well. Are there some good high quality ones you guys can suggest?

Are banana plugs the best way to terminate speaker wire?

thanks!

Jim

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Radio Shack makes a couple of plugs. One is $3.99/pair. I believe the catalog no. is 278-321. The other is expanding/locking and I believe are $6.99/pair and to my recollection the catalog no. is 278-307. Both can be attached to the wire via a good crimper.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Are bananas the best way to terminate?:

Well, the audiophile perspective is "bare wire is best". Less breaks in the signal path, less connections to come loose.

But sonically there is little difference between bare wire and a good plug/spade.

Personally, I cannot fit 12 ga wire into those side holes on my binding posts. There is just not enough room and some strands of copper always stick out.

I tried Monster "Twist-Crimp" bananas, but the wires would pull out every few weeks.

I was estatic to find the MegaCable dual banana plugs from Radio Shack. They have over-sized side hole on the side and a solid black spacer bar to prevent shorts. I use these for behind my speakers and I have not had a loose wire in years.

But the dual bananas stick out about 3", too far for behind my receiver. But RS has a 2-piece banana that un-screws, you thread the copper strands through the middle and back down. Then you screw the banana on top for a fantastic mechanical connection.

Highly recommended.

6. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

7. Paul_H

Paul_H Extra

I found these at Apex Jr. 2 dual banannas for $5. A friend tried to purchase from a Portuguese company that lists prices of $1.24 in US dollars, but they never responded. They seem to have some of the cheapest prices on nice looking bananna plugs if you can get a reply (and buy 100 pieces). their link

8. Jim Carr

Thanks everyone for the help..
    Paul, I contacted this guy under my business name and they got right back to me. Here is his response...

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

OUCH!!!

I think I'll hit Radio Shack on my way home...yeesh. I need 5.5 pairs, and at least one won't be standard spacing, maybe more, so I need the seperate kind.

Good Luck, Jim! BTW, you probably can't use these on the SV or the Kenwood...

10. Jim Carr

But if you think about it.. even at 174 shipped for 100 sets.. that's still only 1.74 a set. and they go for 5 at parts express. Hmm.. maybe I just disovered a new business? Bananaplugs.com!! [​IMG] Or some ebay deal.. LOL.
    If anyone needs them let me know..
    Jim

11. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

There really aren't too many plugs on Ebay, when I look, that is.

mAYBE YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING....EFFIN' CAPS LOCK!

- CM

12. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

You're going to buy 100 pr.????? How many pair do you need?

13. Jim Carr

I probably only need 15 pair.. LOL. But you can't buy any less than 100 pair. I don't care.. I'll make the money back on ebay.

If anyone is interested drop me a line I'll sell them to your for 2 bucks a pair shipped. (10 minimum)

thanks,

Jim