What's new

Good banana plugs? (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
What are the best banana plugs? With no soldering required. Are those ones that come with two together good? Is that a pretty standard size?

I bought some recently but they seem cheap as hell.. and they don't stay in my onkyo binding posts that well. Are there some good high quality ones you guys can suggest?

Are banana plugs the best way to terminate speaker wire?

thanks!

Jim

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Radio Shack makes a couple of plugs. One is $3.99/pair. I believe the catalog no. is 278-321. The other is expanding/locking and I believe are $6.99/pair and to my recollection the catalog no. is 278-307. Both can be attached to the wire via a good crimper.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are bananas the best way to terminate?:

Well, the audiophile perspective is "bare wire is best". Less breaks in the signal path, less connections to come loose.

But sonically there is little difference between bare wire and a good plug/spade.

Personally, I cannot fit 12 ga wire into those side holes on my binding posts. There is just not enough room and some strands of copper always stick out.

I tried Monster "Twist-Crimp" bananas, but the wires would pull out every few weeks.

I was estatic to find the MegaCable dual banana plugs from Radio Shack. They have over-sized side hole on the side and a solid black spacer bar to prevent shorts. I use these for behind my speakers and I have not had a loose wire in years.

But the dual bananas stick out about 3", too far for behind my receiver. But RS has a 2-piece banana that un-screws, you thread the copper strands through the middle and back down. Then you screw the banana on top for a fantastic mechanical connection.

Highly recommended.

Paul_H

Grip
I found these at Apex Jr. 2 dual banannas for $5. A friend tried to purchase from a Portuguese company that lists prices of $1.24 in US dollars, but they never responded. They seem to have some of the cheapest prices on nice looking bananna plugs if you can get a reply (and buy 100 pieces). Link Removed

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the help..
Paul, I contacted this guy under my business name and they got right back to me. Here is his response...
Good day
Thank you for emailing. Thank you for kind words, as well.
Here the quote door to door
item to be seen
http://www.amabilidade2002.com/ay139.htm
US 124.-- (1.244each) AY1390's 100 (50 red plus 50 black)gold
pl.
US 54.60 FEDEX delivery
US 2.50 misc cheque depositing etc..
---------
US 171.60 Total
============
We would require as well then your fedral trac number
for invoicing, otherwise we would have
Bank cheque ok, save fees to postal address
Amabilidade, Lda.
Apt. 1173
Casa Esperanca
8401-903 Praia do Carvoeiro
Algarve Portugal
If you like you can tranfer the amount to our account of
Amabilidade, Lda. but you must think of fees of international
transfers.. Cheque is the most reasonable..
Thank you
Nice day
Fred Schmidt
55 bucks for shipping! D'oh! I just emailed him back saying if he could ship for cheaper I would send them a check right away. Does anyone want to go half on this with me? They look like EXCELLENT banana's ? Email ASAP at
[email protected]
thanks again,
Jim

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
OUCH!!!

I think I'll hit Radio Shack on my way home...yeesh. I need 5.5 pairs, and at least one won't be standard spacing, maybe more, so I need the seperate kind.

Good Luck, Jim! BTW, you probably can't use these on the SV or the Kenwood...

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
But if you think about it.. even at 174 shipped for 100 sets.. that's still only 1.74 a set. and they go for 5 at parts express. Hmm.. maybe I just disovered a new business? Bananaplugs.com!! :) Or some ebay deal.. LOL.
If anyone needs them let me know..
Jim

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
There really aren't too many plugs on Ebay, when I look, that is.

mAYBE YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING....EFFIN' CAPS LOCK!

- CM

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I probably only need 15 pair.. LOL. But you can't buy any less than 100 pair. I don't care.. I'll make the money back on ebay.

If anyone is interested drop me a line I'll sell them to your for 2 bucks a pair shipped. (10 minimum)

thanks,

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks