What's new

New Receiver Thoughts (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So I’m currently looking for a new receiver. Currently I have a Denon (I forget which model) but I’ve had it for around 5 years. The problem is the speaker connections on it were always awful. I tried direct wiring, banana plugs, but I constant have to go back and jigger the connections and run constant connections tests and I’m sick of it. I’m reluctant to go with another Denon because of this, but this one looks attractive to me

I like to be 8K future proof, but this one seems to have enough HDMI inputs, 3D passthrough, claims to support 4K/120hz (though does have this disclaimer “Does not support pass-through from all 4K/120Hz media sources” I’m not sure the description says, but I would imagine it supports DSD (SACD) as that would also be a requirement. Dedicated Phono input would be nice but not a dealbreaker as I already have a preamp. Seems like it has good features for a receiver under a grand. Any thoughts on if this would be good

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Regarding DSD support, that's become a somewhat rare thing these days. I expect you're referring to outputting DSD digitally so the receiver can convert it. Some players can convert DSD to PCM, which should work.

Personally, I'm not sure 8K is going to be a viable home format anytime soon, and 4K/120Hz is only for high end gaming.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have a Denon S750H which is one model lower and a year or two older than the 960. I use Sewell Silverback banana plugs and I’ve never had an issue like you describe.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Regarding DSD support, that's become a somewhat rare thing these days. I expect you're referring to outputting DSD digitally so the receiver can convert it. Some players can convert DSD to PCM, which should work.

Personally, I'm not sure 8K is going to be a viable home format anytime soon, and 4K/120Hz is only for high end gaming.
Well, being able to support SACD playback is a requirement.

I agree about 8K not really being a thing, but if it has it, why not? And I don’t yet have a TV that can do 4K/120hz (but doesn’t PS5 support it for some titles). I do have to pull the trigger soon because I can’t deal with the speaker problems any more. And I’ve jiggered with it so much over the years (sometimes with force due to frustration) that the banana plug inputs have become loose (and as I said above, direct wiring didn’t help me much). But if there is a better alternative that has ample HDMI inputs (preferably up to the latest spec), had 3D pass though, can support SACD. Those are the bigger requirements, I’m listening. A new receiver was my birthday present from my wife back in May. So should move on something soon.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
What exactly is being supported in 8K right now as far as physical media? Is it just gaming consoles?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have a Denon S750H which is one model lower and a year or two older than the 960. I use Sewell Silverback banana plugs and I’ve never had an issue like you describe.
Sorry for derailing the thread but are these plugs snug to the receiver binding posts? I like the way they terminate and [assuming they fit snugly and stay that way] might want to replace mine as they are an open screw type.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry for derailing the thread but are these plugs snug to the receiver binding posts? I like the way they terminate and [assuming they fit snugly and stay that way] might want to replace mine as they are an open screw type.
I use those, though the same ones are available in a variety of brands, and they work great. The wire gauge has to be reasonably large. Probably 14ga minimum, but they can also take extremely large wire.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I use those, though the same ones are available in a variety of brands, and they work great. The wire gauge has to be reasonably large. Probably 14ga minimum, but they can also take extremely large wire.
Are yours snug to the binding posts? My current plugs were a PIA to terminate but that part is done now. I'm only considering replacing them because they are a bit too loose in the binding posts.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are yours snug to the binding posts? My current plugs were a PIA to terminate but that part is done now. I'm only considering replacing them because they are a bit too loose in the binding posts.
If anything, they tend to almost be too tight. The first time you insert them, it tends to feel like they won't fit.

Nothing sleazy implied there, at all... :lol:

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Are there any receiver manufacturers outside of Denon currently offering models that allow you to see the surround codec in use AND source name at the same time on the front display? It seems the new Onkyos do not allow for this, and I really miss this feature; I can't stand the porthole design of the Marantz AVRs, but I know the Denons display their info like this:

1659384824325.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Are there any receiver manufacturers outside of Denon currently offering models that allow you to see the surround codec in use AND source name at the same time on the front display? It seems the new Onkyos do not allow for this, and I really miss this feature; I can't stand the porthole design of the Marantz AVRs, but I know the Denons display their info like this:
I've been using Marantz for so long I barely remember how older receivers behaved but, remember, there's a full-featured display similar to the Denon's underneath that porthole. There's also the OSD, which gives you the source/codec information and a lot more at the press of a button.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I've been using Marantz for so long I barely remember how older receivers behaved but, remember, there's a full-featured display similar to the Denon's underneath that porthole. There's also the OSD, which gives you the source/codec information and a lot more at the press of a button.
Thanks as always, brother...

I know I can use the OSD or press a button on the remote to get codec information, but I preferred the way the old Onkyos, in particular, did it...where both the surround mode AND input name would be shown.

This is how my TX-SR605 (Onkyo) from around 2008 displays the info:

1659390555015.png

Plus, with a new receiver, I wouldn't be sending the video through it from my UHD Blu-ray player, instead splitting the audio/video feeds (because my Panasonic allows for it), so the OSD wouldn't be of much help...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I know I can use the OSD or press a button on the remote to get codec information, but I preferred the way the old Onkyos, in particular, did it...where both the surround mode AND input name would be shown.

View attachment 146992

Plus, with a new receiver, I wouldn't be sending the video through it from my UHD Blu-ray player, instead splitting the audio/video feeds (because my Panasonic allows for it), so the OSD wouldn't be of much help...
LOL - I still have my Onkyo TX-SR605. The front display went out years ago but it's otherwise solid. What a workhorse that thing was.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

View attachment 146992

Please don’t introduce your tech requests into other peoples threads. You q has nothing to do with the OPs and has been asked already in your own thread and several others in the past.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
LOL - I still have my Onkyo TX-SR605. The front display went out years ago but it's otherwise solid. What a workhorse that thing was.
That's so weird that your 605's front display went out, when I'm dealing with a bad HDMI out that won't allow me to see the menu settings on my display...

Can't believe you're still rocking a 605, too! Where do you use it? And, yes, man....are these things TANKS and workhorses, as you put it...rock solid in every way, including power, and if it wasn't for time going by and just eating at things like the HDMI ports, the "X05" generation of Onkyos would probably outlive us.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So I’m currently looking for a new receiver. Currently I have a Denon (I forget which model) but I’ve had it for around 5 years. The problem is the speaker connections on it were always awful. I tried direct wiring, banana plugs, but I constant have to go back and jigger the connections and run constant connections tests and I’m sick of it. I’m reluctant to go with another Denon because of this, but this one looks attractive to me

I like to be 8K future proof, but this one seems to have enough HDMI inputs, 3D passthrough, claims to support 4K/120hz (though does have this disclaimer “Does not support pass-through from all 4K/120Hz media sources” I’m not sure the description says, but I would imagine it supports DSD (SACD) as that would also be a requirement. Dedicated Phono input would be nice but not a dealbreaker as I already have a preamp. Seems like it has good features for a receiver under a grand. Any thoughts on if this would be good

My first Denon AVR-S930H had that same problem, where some of the speaker terminals had a loose connection inside the receiver. I exchanged it for another unit, and haven't had the issue since.

I perused the manual (which can be found online), and it looks like it only supports DSD files, not SACD playback. As @JohnRice indicated, DSD decoding from SACD is a feature that is much more difficult to find these days than a phono input (which the S960 does have). For most users looking for SACD playback on a receiver, the only real option is to have the player decode to PCM, unfortunately. What player are you using for SACD playback currently?

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That's so weird that your 605's front display went out, when I'm dealing with a bad HDMI out that won't allow me to see the menu settings on my display...

Can't believe you're still rocking a 605, too! Where do you use it? And, yes, man....are these things TANKS and workhorses, as you put it...rock solid in every way, including power, and if it wasn't for time going by and just eating at things like the HDMI ports, the "X05" generation of Onkyos would probably outlive us.
It was actually a common issue with these units. A DIY fix exists but I haven't bothered as mine is just used for backup duties should one of my amps require service.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My first Denon AVR-S930H had that same problem, where some of the speaker terminals had a loose connection inside the receiver. I exchanged it for another unit, and haven't had the issue since.

I perused the manual (which can be found online), and it looks like it only supports DSD files, not SACD playback. As @JohnRice indicated, DSD decoding from SACD is a feature that is much more difficult to find these days than a phono input (which the S960 does have). For most users looking for SACD playback on a receiver, the only real option is to have the player decode to PCM, unfortunately. What player are you using for SACD playback currently?

Right now my setup has an OPPO UHD player which I use for SACD. I know with my setup, I’m not going to hear the quality so much. It’s more about being able to listen to the SACDs I do have in multichannel. Would that be an issue. I don’t necessarily care how it’s converted, just as long as I can hear it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks