What's new

Good 8" subwoofer driver (1 Viewer)

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I live in a dorm room, so I cannot go with a 15" tempest or anything like that. I have to keep the box small and cannot be too loud. I am just looking for a clean 8" subwoofer driver that will soud good with 100 watts, is 4 ohm, and doesn't need a huge box. I would like for it to go at least to 30 Hz. I was thinking of probably just getting a car audio sub because they are easier to find in 4 ohm, but if there is a good one out there that I have never heard of, let me know. I have the amp already, so sub is all I need. I dont want to spend over 100 dollars either.
Any info is appreciated.
Later

Cam S

Screenwriter
Check out the Adire AV8 driver, I know someone in here made a sub with that driver to go with the Adire full range drivers and they said it was a great little sub.
Just found the link to the sub I am talking about. It was built by Kyle Richardson of Acoustic Visions, very nice looking too. Ask him for more details.
Link Removed

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
that Nuera sub looks like exactly what I am looking for. Too bad they are out of stock for 45 days. I can wait tho. Also, the link to its datasheet doesn't work. DO you have any more info on it?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the specs readily available, but IIRC it works best in a ported enclosure. I think something along the lines of 1.5ft^3 ported works best.

Brian

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
1.5 ft^3 is fine. And I prefer ported any way becasue it helps bring out the lows. I realy want the nUera. I wish they had them in stock. I guess I just gotta be patient.
Thanks guys.
Later

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That TangBand is really cool, but, as always, porting it adequately in the Vb it requires will be *tough*. I had worked out a passive radiator alignment that looked like fun.

BrendanL

Agent
I'd go with a 10" if you are going to make a subwoofer.
The peerless XLS 10" is designed for really small boxes, as are some of the Daytons. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=105707&DID=7
You can put the titanic 10" in a box of the size you mention. Their EBS alignment is a 1.4 cu ft. ported box with a 3"x 19.3" port (which would be tricky to fit in the box) and get an F3 of 28 hz.
The details are on their pdf on that page.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
well I already have a box for an 8". I am hoping to get a sub that would work well in it's airspace or smaller. I can always add wood on the inside to take up more airspace.Thanks anyway.
Later

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Cam/Ches, actually the sub that I built was based on the Dayton 8" #295-310 not the Adire AV8. I put it in 1 cu ft and it sounded quite nice. Cost of the Dayton is $18.50

A

Anthony_Gomez

This is an easy one for me.
www.subwoofers.com
$99 for the SV-10. Works very well in a 1-1.5ft^3 sealed box. While it really wants a 200watt amp, since you aren't lookin to play real loud, 100watts is just fine=)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I am hoping to get a sub that would work well in it's airspace or smaller. I can always add wood on the inside to take up more airspace.
Adding something like polyfill actually makes the box seem larger instead of smaller. I would assume wool would do the same thing. Since you have a box would it be possible to give us the internal volume of it (or as close as you can)? That could help some as well.

Dan Hine

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
The box I have s about .9 cubic feet with a 4"x6" port. I might just go ahead and build a whole new box. Now I am seriously considering getting 2 of the Dayton 8"ers and wiring them in parallel for a 4 ohm load. They are 60 watts RMS anyway, so 50 a peice would be alright. I really like the specs on them for the price and size. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-310
Anybody know what would be a good box for these speakers? I would go sealed if I could get response down to a teast 35 hz at a reasonable spl. If I need to go ported to go that low, how big and what size port? Actually I am now looking forward to building a new box. I am interested in trying a black laquer finish anyway.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Two of those Daytons in a 2.75 cu ft box tuned to 30 Hz with a 3" x 5.5" port will give you an F3 of ~35 Hz. Room gain should get you the rest. You'll max them out with 75 W for a max SPL of ~110 dB.

Pete

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I have been messing around on WinISD and found that Isobarik allow for a much smaller box. Does anyone have any good references to some Isobarick boxes (how to's, examples, ...)? They'd be much appreciated.

Pete, 35 hz and about 110 decibels would be great, but I just don't know about a 2.75 ft^3 box. That might be a little too big. I'll seriously think about it though.

Thanks everyone so far.

Later

AllanRW

Second Unit
The W8-740 will be in Julys order we have coming.

And yes we have it running at present a Sample W8-740 sent to us from TB in a 1cft cabinet running the 792 amp, sealed NO PR,or Port and it is very clean and stable.
Rick will post some pics when he gets a chance to do so.

Al
Nuera Acoustic

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ches,

I built a sub using the 295-310 in a 1.35ft^3 enclosure tuned to about 30Hz, so 2 of them would be about right in a 1.75ft^3 enclosure. I have also put it in a .77ft^3 enclosure but it really sounded better in the larger enclosure.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks