What's new

Gonna get my first Sub but have room questions (1 Viewer)

Nathan Luetke

Auditioning
Hello Everyone,

Great forum!, just got into it. Well I have been hearing everyone talk so highly of the SVS subs along with other review sites and have decided that I will most likely buy one of the PCi's in the new year. Here is my situation before the question:
I have a relatively small room, about 1300 ft3, 2 polk RTi38's for rears, Polk Csi130 center and DCM KX12's for mains (Timbre should be better, but all in good time) and an Onkyo501 reciever. I live in a duplex where as of now the neightbors say they can't hear a thing when I really crank it, however I am worried about that changing when I get one of those really killer subs. Does anyone have any suggestions for simple non-permanent sound insulation I can use for the sub or a suggestion on sub choices for a situation like mine?
I was thinking about the SVS PCi25-31 due its smaller size and my small room, but I have also been considereing the 20-39. Will the 20-39 be that much more louder and obtrusive for my neighbors, or just hit lower notes, or would it just be un-necessary?
Thanks for any help.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

I have a 25-31PC+ and that thing is louder than s*!t.
I don't think the smaller cylinders are any quieter than the larger ones, they just don't have as much REALLY low level output. I personally am glad I went with the smaller cylinder in the SVS lineup. A couple of reasons are WAF, price, and this SVS sub performs better than I could have ever expected.

On the 25-31pci you can get it with a 22Hz tune if I remember correctly, if you did this it might lower the output just a hair while gaining a little more low end.
You also may want to calibrate the sub a couple DBs under the rest of your speakers if your neighbors did complain. Goodluck with your purchase.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Nathan,

The lower tuned subs will actually be a tad quieter than the higher tuned ones in the range above the tuning point. That is, above 25 Hz, the 20-39 will be down a couple of dbs from the 25-31 (as far as max spls go). In a smaller room like yours, I'd go with the lower tuned sub to really troll those rare, but wonderful, low notes.

As to being too loud for the neighbors, any calibrated sub is going to play as loud as another (up to their abilities anyway).

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks