What's new

Gone With the Wind physical copies are now sold out everywhere... (Thanks to HBO Max) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So, I would just say this about banning films or censorship, I don't think that should ever happen. These pictures should remain available to see as they are and only be seen as a reflection of those that created them and the times in which they were made.

The only picture I am certain has been "banned" or removed from distribution/circulation is Disney's Song of the South and this was essentially done by their legal department. In all honesty, I think this is a bad idea as it likely creates more bad vibes than allowing the picture to be seen. The other day I was at a gathering and all this came up and a woman said of Song of the South that it was this horribly racist film that was totally disgusting. I asked her if she had seen it and she said no and I asked how she knew it was so horrible then.

She said she had read about it. I explained that was not the best way to make a judgement on it. I told her I had seen the picture at a drive-in theater some 45 years ago or more and then perhaps once after that and I did not find it to be a movie promoting or encouraging racism. A guy then asked me, jokingly, if I was wearing my white sheet and hood when I watched it and I said "Sure but everybody was and I just wanted to fit in." which at least got everybody to laugh.

The point being that she had ''heard'' it was terrible and wildly racist and so was telling other people that who then would have just taken her word that it was. That's how things end up "banned" because people that have no chance to judge for themselves have to just believe what someone else said and can't judge the picture for themselves.

Song of the South is not some terribly racist picture nor is it promoting that. Yes, it does have some characters speak in what would have been for the time a stereotypical uneducated voice of a person of color but it is not with the intent to paint an ugly picture of all African Americans.

Why ban the picture when many people know of it, you can look at clips of it on youtube and you can even purchase a copy of it on DVD through internet sellers. Disney's attempt to hide it just makes them look like they are guilty of something and that there is some shameful thing in their closet they want no one to see.

Let people watch the films themselves and judge them. Sure, there are odd and sick people in the world that take these films in the wrong ways. However, it is not the films that made these people odd, or sick, or a racist...something in them made them go in that direction or they were taught that thinking by the environment they were raised in.

Blaming the films is a cheap out because basically you can take the film away but you can't take somebodies racism from them. You can't make people into better people by taking the film away.

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

All that said will we see more pictures "banned" or taken out of circulation? We might and here's how I think that would happen. It won't be done by politicians or political activists. It would likely be done just like Disney did it with Song of the South. A person in the company, probably a younger person with no real experience with the picture they want to get rid of will just bury the film. There is not going to be some government group or a bunch of protesters...just likely one person or a small group of lawyers in an office that say "We'd just be better off not showing this."

So, not a hard ban just don't show it until it fades into memory. Then some woman sitting next to someone at a party will tell them "Oh yes, that film had to be banned because it was so awful." and nobody will care or know any better.

I do not disagree with you in principle, but Disney is king of the goalpost-movers. Trouble is, now they're dragging other studios down to their level.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Calling the people of Georgia "gay and chivalrous" opens a whole new can of worms with the same people who need everything explained to them. They probably also need to have the fact that a word can have more than one meaning explained to them as well.

I remember that when I was in middle (?) or junior high (?) school, some kids on the school bus kept asking me whether I was "gay". Thinking the word to mean something like happy, I'd answer things like "sometimes", but I wondered why they would ask the question.

I couldn't figure out why they kept asking and laughing afterwards, until an adult explained the other meaning of the word to me …

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I remember that when I was in middle (?) or junior high (?) school, some kids on the school bus kept asking me whether I was "gay". Thinking the word to mean something like happy, I'd answer things like "sometimes", but I wondered why they would ask the question.

I couldn't figure out why they kept asking and laughing afterwards, until an adult explained the other meaning of the word to me …
“Don we now our gay apparel. Fa la la la la la la!”

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I guess when they watch The Flintstones they'll think Fred and Barney must be having a secret, off-screen affair. :)

Well if there was ever a real reason why Mr. Evictus never kicked Gus Holiday out of the Venus De Milo Arms....

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
“Gone With the Wind” is back on HBO Max — with two additional videos that discuss the historical context of the classic film. WarnerMedia had pulled the movie two weeks ago, citing the need to address its “racist depictions.”

In the first video, TCM host and film scholar Jacqueline Stewart discusses “why this 1939 epic drama should be viewed in its original form, contextualized and discussed.” The second is a one-hour video recording of a panel discussion, “The Complicated Legacy of ‘Gone With the Wind,'” from the TCM Classic Film Festival in April 2019, moderated by author and historian Donald Bogle.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I watched Stewart's 4+ minutes Introduction then 56 minute panel discussion "The Complicated Legacy of Gone With the Wind" and the TCM featurette they had of Hattie McDaniel which ran a little over 4 minutes. People can skip over the Introduction if they wish which I did because I already watched it as those three extras were listed individually below the movie on HBO Max.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Yeah, I watched Smith's 4+ minutes Introduction then 56 minute panel discussion "The Complicated Legacy of Gone With the Wind" and the TCM featurette they had of Hattie McDaniel which ran a little over 4 minutes. People can skip over the Introduction if they wish which I did because I already watched it as those three extras were listed individually below the movie on HBO Max.

I presume you mean Jacqueline Stewart? If not, who is Smith?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
You presume correctly, senior moment.:blush:

Senior Wences?

giphy (4).gif

"s'alright!"

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They also have old Sesame Street episodes uploaded. Are they going to let Roosevelt Franklin off with a warning?

RooseveltR.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
HBO Max Restores ‘Gone With the Wind’ With Disclaimer Saying Film ‘Denies the Horrors of Slavery’

Hmmm... Gone with the Wind is not about "the horrors of slavery" is it? If I want that, I'll watch 12 Years a Slave, which should have warnings about "characters as caricatures" and "brutality, violence and misery getting confused with history." Saying that GWTW "denies the horrors of slavery is like watching Out of the Past and saying the film "denies the horrors of smoking."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmm... Gone with the Wind is not about "the horrors of slavery" is it? If I want that, I'll watch 12 Years a Slave, which should have warnings about "characters as caricatures" and "brutality, violence and misery getting confused with history." Saying that GWTW "denies the horrors of slavery is like watching Out of the Past and saying the film "denies the horrors of smoking."
That’s the problem, it doesn’t display the horrors of slavery.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Slaves aren't the main character of the book and film, it's all about Scarlet and her drama.
No kidding! They don't have to be the main character for them to include the cruelties of slavery. That's the issue some people have with the movie. I'm not saying they're right, but that's how they feel about it and have felt about it since 1939.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks